Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I love my r6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never painted anything. I was hoping to get some tips from some guys with some experience in painting. Or maybe even a step by step of what I need to do. Hah.

I am just painting the tank white to match some fairings I bought. Here's what I have done. Bought a $60 spray gun on amazon, 1 gallon of white acrylic enamel paint. I haven't bought primer yet, I guess I'll just buy some gray primer at walmart or something.

Stupid question but I can use the primer in my gun right? Also, the paint I bought comes with just the right ratio of hardener, will it say if I need to add anything else to the paint on the can?

And what kind of sandpaper should I use? Thanks a lot in advance.

·
m3lover2
10,527 Posts
Oh boy......

Please don't do anything yet... And dont use that paint. Were not in 1960s anymore.

Don't buy primer at Walmart.

Let me get back to this tomorrow.

·
I love my r6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh boy......

Please don't do anything yet... And dont use that paint. Were not in 1960s anymore.

Don't buy primer at Walmart.

Let me get back to this tomorrow.
Won't that paint still work just fine?
And I'll see where I can find some primer..

·
m3lover2
10,527 Posts
Go to Napa and get this primer. They have it in white too

Use a urethane paint. Some Napa stores will sell paint. Don't use acrylic.

Sand with 220-320 before primer. Wet sand primer with 500, then 800. Then paint with urethane and clear it

·
m3lover2
10,527 Posts
You can use primer in your gun.. Just use reducer to thin out the primer a little. And clean the gun when you're done.

Or quit fcuking with it and find a shop to do it. Should be 100-150

·
I love my r6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You can use primer in your gun.. Just use reducer to thin out the primer a little. And clean the gun when you're done.

Or quit fcuking with it and find a shop to do it. Should be 100-150
No I'm good I'd rather learn how to do it myself. I'll just follow this guide.. http://www.ehow.com/how_5154927_sand-paint-motorcycle.html

I was surprised at how you're supposed to lightly sand your final coat of paint and clear coat. I guess it'll all look good after the buffing, assuming I did a good job. hah.

·
I love my r6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go to Napa and get this primer. They have it in white too

Use a urethane paint. Some Napa stores will sell paint. Don't use acrylic.

Sand with 220-320 before primer. Wet sand primer with 500, then 800. Then paint with urethane and clear it
Alright I will follow your advice and purchase that paint and primer then..
And yeah that's similar to some guides I found. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts