Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be painting my bike soon, and I was wondering about how many coats of primer, paint, clear coat are normally used during the painting process... Thanks :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
depends on what you use. Premixed stuff like Duplicolor Paintshop took me about 2 qts of each stage(primer, base, clear) and then non mixed will be 1 qt of each stage plus activater(which is usually 1 qt if it is a 1:1 mix ratio). I sprayed about 4 coats of each stage!

·
MMVII R6
112 Posts
:Dhey man my brother just got done painting my bike and to be honest if you are not a experienced body work and painter i would leave the project to a professional, he is a professional and has done a ton of work in cars not bikes and we ran into a bunch of little problems because neither he or i knew anything about plastic in the bike's body, the tank was not a problem cause it is metal but the rest of the fairings have different properties than metal and if you do not choose the thinner for the paint or clear correctly the actual plastic will react funky and start to peel off, also when applying the paint it has to be slow and thin coats, hey if you need more info pm me i have a lot of pics too if you are intersted in see what we did and check out my bike and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
71 Posts
look good... what grit wetsand did you use?
i actually havent cut and buffed yet, but i usually go from 1000, to 1500, to 2000(if needed) the buff, then swirl remover. The duplicolor premixed stuff seems to be a softer paint and took alot longer to harden than the PPG stuffed i used, just a heads up for post paint clean and shine!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts