Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best ride I've been on so far in Southern California. Haven't been to Angeles Crest yet, but it's hard to think that anything can top Palomar Mountain. Sharpest set of twisties that go up for miles. Hardly any long straightaways at all. If you can't drag knee here, you should be shot (unless you don't like to drag knee or never drag knee, but it's still fun anyway).

Hairpin twisties and decreasing radius turns are almost endless. Some people wait at the turns to take pictures of people going through the corners. Some guy does on saturdays and posts it up on his website.

The only negatives here are that it's a long ass ride to get there. A lot of people cross the double yellow when coming down the hill. Accidents happen here a lot. I don't know why -- maybe too many bikes, too many squids -- who knows? Not a place for beginners, unfortunately. Still a good time, though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was just up there yesterday afternoon. It took me 1 hour to get there and did a few run before returning home.

Yep, lots of accident because of many reasons. Rider going way too fast. Also have to watch out for unexpected obstacle. A friend went down because a cat jump in front of him. Sometime there are cars doing u-turns and sand/gravel on the road.

Yes I agree this is a fun road to ride. Everytime I go up there, I have scary thoughts afterward. But then I go back again anyway. :screwy

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gonna be in San Diego in a few weeks to see my brother (Navy) ship come in. How far away is it? Heard great things. Hoping to maybe check it out on Saturday. Then head home Sunday.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It is about 1.75 to 2 hours ride from down-town San Diego. Take 15N and 76East and S6 North. S6 North is the start of the climb onto Palomar mountain. S6 road is consider the tight side of Palomar mountain. S6 will intersect with S7, which is consider the fast side of Palomar mountain.

Hope that help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks. I am gonna try to squeeze it in while I am there. If not, a good ride is always good enough reason for a good road trip back.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a great ride. Really tight twisties that'll force you to get your bike down. Just watch out for all the other riders and cars that cross double yellow... I think it's worth the trip, though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.