Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm moving to a new apartment complex and will be parking my 6 outside from now on. anyone have any tips? i know i should probably get a cover and an alarm. does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
118 Posts
im living in an apartment now and share a covered parking spot with another R6 rider. its nice cause theres a beam right next to my spot, so i got a thick cable lock and lock the rear wheel to the beam. my buddy got the same lock and locks his lock to mine. More important than an alarm would be making sure to find a good spot to park, preferably with someplace to lock up the bike. thiefs are more deterred by a thick ass Brinks lock than most any alarm.

·
Registered
79 Posts
1. park it off the street if posible, like on a sidewalk or something. hopefully in a lighted area.

2. get a cover.

3. get a Kryptonite "New York Fahgettaboutit" chain and find something really secure to chain the bike to (telephone pole, tree, bike rack, etc)

with that, you should be all set :)

-chris sedition

·
Registered
524 Posts
Well, I'm in the same situation and I'll tell you what I do:

1. Chain the back wheel to the carport pole.

2. Cover it.

3. Set my Scorpio alarm w/ perimeter sensor on silent. That way the pager alerts me to anyone's presence near my bike and they don't know I've been alerted.

4. I have full coverage insurance.

I had an FZR get stolen from the same exact spot but I was only using a disc lock and cover (no chain, no alarm). Lord willing I'll be moving into a house in a few weeks and won't have to deal with the stress of trying to protect a bike in an apartment complex any longer.

·
Registered
712 Posts
You guys forgot one thing....keep a loaded shotgun next to the window or door so you can come out firing when your alarm is triggered! Me i keep a 12 gauge, my .38 and my 9mm all loaded. And if they happen to get out of range of those, i got my deer rifle with my scope to pick them off with!

but in the end if they want your bike bad enough and are determined most likely they will steal it so just get full coverage to be on the safe side!

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
well all there suggestions are good but i would change one thing, dont buy a chain, get a cable to lock the bike up, they are alot harder to cut then a chain. theives can walk up and cut a chain in about 10 seconds and have your bike in the back of a truck about 30 after that

·
Registered
46 Posts
pull it in the front door it fits
Take OCboy03R6 advice if you have a 1st floor Apt>
Getting full coverage is cool, but the more bikes that get stolen especially the R6 the higher insrance companies will raise there rates> Your rate will also go up automaticlly> Use a friends garage, put it in storage, do anything just don't leave it outside> good luck

·
Registered
524 Posts
redneck_r6 said:
You guys forgot one thing....keep a loaded shotgun next to the window or door so you can come out firing when your alarm is triggered! Me i keep a 12 gauge, my .38 and my 9mm all loaded. And if they happen to get out of range of those, i got my deer rifle with my scope to pick them off with!

but in the end if they want your bike bad enough and are determined most likely they will steal it so just get full coverage to be on the safe side!
Here in Cali you'll go to prison if you shoot a thief. You can't use deadly force to protect property. Having said that, I keep a loaded Mossburg & Glock ready at all times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
same problem, diff question. just moved into an apartment, divorce, the R6 is outside under a cheap cover, i noticed the other day after a rain, ha freakin' rain is south texas (san antonio), that my front brake was rusted in places, but after riding for awhile, the rust went away, anybody got any similiar situations?? thanks twist

·
Registered
476 Posts
Code said:
Here in Cali you'll go to prison if you shoot a thief. You can't use deadly force to protect property. Having said that, I keep a loaded Mossburg & Glock ready at all times.
What about if you shoot them below the waist, isn't that not considered attempted murder or whatever?

·
Registered
443 Posts
echoes said:
Code said:
What about if you shoot them below the waist, isn't that not considered attempted murder or whatever?
If your absolutely gonna shoot, Shoot to Kill..

·
My 6 makes me super horny
140 Posts
TWIST
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:35 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

same problem, diff question. just moved into an apartment, divorce, the R6 is outside under a cheap cover, i noticed the other day after a rain, ha freakin' rain is south texas (san antonio), that my front brake was rusted in places, but after riding for awhile, the rust went away, anybody got any similiar situations?? thanks twist
That's going to happen if moisture gets on it. It was probably on the links of your chain too, that stuff is easily wiped off. However, if you notice any starting around the triple clamps or steering stem and right there on your forks out of the travel area, you'll need to remember to get that stuff wiped off and use some sort of oil based (or straight up oil) lube when it's clean. I'm talking the slightest film, it'll look like you Armoralled it. But until you can keep it inside and out of the elements, that's what you'll have to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
TWIST said:
Dude your rotors are metal of course it going to rust samw as a stainless steel pipe

·
Registered
261 Posts
I got the same problem, I live in a house but my uncle has so much junk in the garage that im affraid of parking it in thier cuz something might fall on top of it. For the mean time I park it in the back yard and I dont even have a decent bike cover. Its not even a bike cover, its two shower curtains and a blanket but it works LOL. I also get rust on the brake but they go away after i ride.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Can't you guys get rubber bullets in the states? Shoot the theives in their beans..... teach them not to **** with bike owners again... No one ever said anything about killin.. you gotta prevent them from reproducing more scumbags like themselves

·
Registered
359 Posts
I live in a first floor apartment and I just pull it in the front door at night. Not only do you have to worry about theft when you leave a bike outside you also have to worry about punk kids.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.