Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:nocontrol

Just got back from the skills test...I passed :) It was hard on the R6 though...much harder than it probably would have been on a smaller bike. Anyway, just excited :D

:toocool:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Signed up for it, but the earliest open course is in August. Just didn't want to wait that long to actually get my endorsement.

·
I heart my R6
464 Posts
Nice, i was scared to take the DMV test on my bike after so many ppl i know and talked to failed because they had a sport bike...

I took the MSF course to by pass it and hope to learn a thing or 2, even though honestly i didnt learn a damn thing from the class because it was like seriously the most basic crap ever they made you do, all we did was ride beater ass bikes in circles around the parking lot at 10mph hahahah

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, it was REALLY tough on the sport bike...definitely not built for low-speed handling Dropped my foot once on the u-turn...dumb ass mistake, but hey....it was either that or dump it. I came in too fast and slowed down too much to compensate. Should have gassed it, but instinctually put the foot down. Luckily I aced the rest of it, so it didn't make a big difference.
I almost didn't even get to run the course. During the pre-test check, I found out my right turn signal wasn't working. I nearly had a heart attack...I backed up, tore into it, and in under 5 minutes had it working again, at least long enough to do the course. It's all better now (fixed it for good when I got home...loose connection), but it almost made me lose $40.

·
I heart my R6
464 Posts
hahaha, ya thats another thing that stopped me...All my lights and signals are illegal haha and ide rather not pay the stupid DMV fees and find out i cant take the test over something dumb like that..i mean damn it was almost 30$ just to take a permit test that took 5 mins

Congrats on passing though!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on what state you're in...every state is different. Your DMV (or Secretary of State) should have some sort of printout available.

Michigan's is like this:

Stop, start off and maintain ~5 mph and take a 90* Left turn (at whatever speed is comfortable for you) without crossing the marked lines on the ground, turn left again and head back in the direction you came from and make a controlled stop with your front tire inside a small painted box on the ground (no part of your tire touching any line).

Next is a slow-speed slalom with 5 cones set up 15 feet apart and with a 3 foot offset. Immediately after completing the slalom course you turn back towards the start and make a rolling right-handed U-turn. 500+ cc motorcycles are given more room to make the u-turn. Stop.

Next is a quick stop. You ride to a start line painted on the ground and stop. Accelerate to 12-15mph and maintain that speed until you come to a line marked with cones. Once your front tire crosses that line, apply front and rear brakes to stop as quickly as possible.

Last is an obstacle avoidance test. You start at the same place you started for the quick stop...same rules, accelerate to 12-15mph and maintain that speed. Once you reach the quick stop line, you are to swerve left to avoid a cone set up to imitate the rear left edge of a stopped car in front of you. You cannot cross another line set up to imitate a car in the oncoming lane.

That's the basic course for Michigan.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
woot woot!
congrats bro.....now get out there and ride.....legally now!:party:party

·
Registered
151 Posts
That is the same as the new mexico test. Ill take mine soon, I hear it is better to pass through the cone slalom instead of putting your foot down. In new mexico it is less points off for failing that part than putting your foot down in any part of the test. I think it is 24 points compared to 15.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
congrat's, and have fun riding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just took the Basic Rider II course and got my endorsement last week. After about 8 years of riding without it it was time. Enjoy riding legally!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts