Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I4 Virgin
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I've been the proud owner of an R6 for a little over 24 hours and a registered user on this forum for a little over 20. I think its time for me to ask my first shitty noob question.

I'll preface this by saying i did search briefly and didn't find anything

A couple times now i've been going slow (25ish kph) and then whacked WOT onto a straight flat road (such as a highway on ramp) in first gear and i swear the front end either came up a little bit or at the least was feeling incredibly light. If i were to crack it like this with a chick on the back would i be at high risk of looping it?

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
1, don't do that with until your completly comfortable with the way the bike handles
And
2, don't ride with a passenger until you know how to keep the bike on two wheels decently well by yourself.

Don't be a squid and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
if the front end feels like its coming up with you alone, you will loop it before you can say "oh shit" and you and the ho will be on the ground taking asphault up the ass :lmao

·
Registered
469 Posts
Alright so I've been the proud owner of an R6 for a little over 24 hours and a registered user on this forum for a little over 20. I think its time for me to ask my first shitty noob question.

A couple times now i've been going slow (25ish kph) and then whacked WOT onto a straight flat road (such as a highway on ramp) in first gear and i swear the front end either came up a little bit or at the least was feeling incredibly light. If i were to crack it like this with a chick on the back would i be at high risk of looping it?
Depends on how much the passenger weighs, how hard you are getting on the throttle, etc. But yes, its much easier to wheelie with a passenger on the back.

When riding 2up I always try to be as smooth as possible to avoid her falling off the back, hitting helmets etc. So you probably won't run into this problem too often. Sometimes at really low speeds if I pull away from a light a bit too fast I'll accidently wheelie a little.

·
First Gen FTW
11,444 Posts

Not if you cover your rear brake...

YUT UGGHHHHH! ! !

·
I4 Virgin
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
1, don't do that with until your completly comfortable with the way the bike handles
And
2, don't ride with a passenger until you know how to keep the bike on two wheels decently well by yourself.
Ill answer and say you should not ride like that with a passenger period.

Well gentlemen thank you for the crash course in common sense, but i was looking for a little bit more of real world insight as to whether the added mass centered above and behind the rear wheel would be sufficient to alter the weight distribution of this bike enough to enable it to power wheelie without the usual roll-off/preload nonsense. /runonsentence

·
I4 Virgin
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if the front end feels like its coming up with you alone, you will loop it before you can say "oh shit" and you and the ho will be on the ground taking asphault up the ass
Depends on how much the passenger weighs, how hard you are getting on the throttle, etc. But yes, its much easier to wheelie with a passenger on the back.

When riding 2up I always try to be as smooth as possible to avoid her falling off the back, hitting helmets etc. So you probably won't run into this problem too often. Sometimes at really low speeds if I pull away from a light a bit too fast I'll accidently wheelie a little.
Ah alright, thanks, Thats a little bit more of what i was looking for haha

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well gentlemen thank you for the crash course in common sense, but i was looking for a little bit more of real world insight as to whether the added mass centered above and behind the rear wheel would be sufficient to alter the weight distribution of this bike enough to enable it to power wheelie without the usual roll-off/preload nonsense. /runonsentence
Another thing on common sense is don't be a douche to the people on here when "you're here to learn"

·
I4 Virgin
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't mean to come off as an ass, it just wasn't quite the content i was looking for

·
I <3 Slick Mist.
1,378 Posts
if the front end feels like its coming up with you alone, you will loop it before you can say "oh shit" and you and the ho will be on the ground taking asphault up the ass :lmao
:stupic

Pretty much right here says it all. Not to mention she better be hanging on

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
You should sell your bike before you hurt someone..

·
I4 Virgin
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well thats the thing, the woman does not quite believe me when i tell her this bike is scary fast compared to my other one and wants to experience it first hand herself. I'm not quite sure if its an in my head thing with the front tire feeling like that because i'm not used to being able to accelerate at such ridiculous rates. As far as i know this bike is unlikely to power wheelie unless you purposely roll off and on when high up in the power band.

Obviously, if thats not the case and it actually was peeking up a little bit with just me on the bike then doing this 2up would be a pretty shitty idea. Hence why i'm asking

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
Simply put you are responsible for your passengers safety. Ride safe, don't do anything stupid that would endanger their life.

You sound like a new rider so taking out a girl on the back to show her what the bike is capable of is a horrible idea.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Well thats the thing, the woman does not quite believe me when i tell her this bike is scary fast compared to my other one and wants to experience it first hand herself. I'm not quite sure if its an in my head thing with the front tire feeling like that because i'm not used to being able to accelerate at such ridiculous rates. As far as i know this bike is unlikely to power wheelie unless you purposely roll off and on when high up in the power band.

Obviously, if thats not the case and it actually was peeking up a little bit with just me on the bike then doing this 2up would be a pretty shitty idea. Hence why i'm asking
Yeah man, the bike will easily lift the front tire in 1st gear with just you on it.. This is why so many people insist on getting steering dampers for these bikes.. The front lifts up easily, but not up into a sick power wheelie. It's often just enough to get you into a tank slapper on some uneven pavement.

With a passenger, I could see the front lifting in 2nd at WOT when the powerband hits.

I wish my GF wanted to see how fast the bike is.. I wouldn't be all dangerous, but it would be nice to at least be able to get on it a little bit. She freaks out as it hits 8k no matter how light the throttle is. Sometimes I wind it up to 14k in first just so I can at least make some noise and kind of enjoy myself!!

·
Car? What Car?
2,335 Posts
Yeah man, the bike will easily lift the front tire in 1st gear with just you on it.. This is why so many people insist on getting steering dampers for these bikes.. The front lifts up easily, but not up into a sick power wheelie. It's often just enough to get you into a tank slapper on some uneven pavement.

With a passenger, I could see the front lifting in 2nd at WOT when the powerband hits.

I wish my GF wanted to see how fast the bike is.. I wouldn't be all dangerous, but it would be nice to at least be able to get on it a little bit. She freaks out as it hits 8k no matter how light the throttle is. Sometimes I wind it up to 14k in first just so I can at least make some noise and kind of enjoy myself!!
I feel your pain. My ex hated being on the bike and when I went 30 mph, she would scream at me to slow down. I would purposefully avoid things in the road (shadows, slight cracks, manhole covers, etc) just to scare her. :sing

My current girl loves it and loves when I hit WOT. She even loves the clovers. She is wanting to learn to ride now.

OP, get some experience on this bike before you bring another into the equation. I didnt take my first passenger till after I got about 4k miles. I hated saying no to the birthday girls askin for rides. :(

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Look at it this way, if you need to ask the question then you have some learning to do. I ride 2 up all the time (well not for the last 8 months) and you have to use extra precautions.

You can allow her to feel the power of the bike without WOT from the start of a take off. Show her the power with a WOT in 2nd and switch to 3rd.......she'll understand then.

·
RESPECT
29,160 Posts
.. :eek5 ... yes..

:yes

You should sell your bike before you hurt someone..
:secret

I feel your pain. My ex hated being on the bike and when I went 30 mph, she would scream at me to slow down. I would purposefully avoid things in the road (shadows, slight cracks, manhole covers, etc) just to scare her. :sing

My current girl loves it and loves when I hit WOT. She even loves the clovers. She is wanting to learn to ride now.

OP, get some experience on this bike before you bring another into the equation. I didnt take my first passenger till after I got about 4k miles. I hated saying no to the birthday girls askin for rides. :(
I like hearing my gf scream through the helmet, it's funny. She rides too and hasn't ridden in a while so it's fun to make her squeel :sing

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
I like hearing my gf scream through the helmet, it's funny. She rides too and hasn't ridden in a while so it's fun to make her squeel :sing
We are talking about riding 2 up on a motorcycle. We don't wan to hear about your little bedroom diaries unless you got pics. :fact

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't see anything good coming out of accelerating WOT 1->2 riding two up.

As said, you're responsible for her safety.

With that being said, I'm your average muscular guy build (6', around 185). WOT in first with me will make the front end light. I can feel the front wheel occasionally rising an inch.

I would never consider doing this riding two up. Explain to her the hazards of doing this, and if she still isn't satisfied...then tell her to stand on the road and do a driveby.

Of course if you are new to the 6 or are a new rider in general, I don't recommend doing this even by yourself. Things happen really fast above 9K.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts