Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a buddy on another fourm that bought a exhaust off of a member there. Turns out the guy was a fraud. He tried filing a dispute but he sent the money as friends and family rather than goods and services. What's the chances of him getting his money back. What steps should he take?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was straight out of his account

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He tried filing online with no luck. So he is going to try and call them bad plead that he didn't know. Which in all honesty he didn't. He had never used paypal before

·
Registered
105 Posts
NEVER SEND PAYMENT AS A GIFT!!!!!!!

People want to you do that with purchases for two things only, get out of the 3% paypal fees (I will gladly cover the three percent to ensure purchase) or to scam you. Sorry but He's SOL
^ ^ ^ This.......there's been a few as of late on the R1 forum too, if newer members and members with very few posts (like me) should insist on 'gift payment only' this should throw up an immediate red flag, let one of the moderators 'check them out' , or refuse payment in the manner they want and see what they do. Lots of thieves out there, be smart, protect your $$$:secret

·
Motosylum Racing #132
911 Posts
Agreed. ^^ Can't be too careful. I usually ask for half the fee from the buyer and cover the other half. That way we both pay and we are both protected.
Same goes when I'm the buyer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Paypal won't do anything since they broke the terms of service by paying for goods using friends and family. They're screwed and hopefully this is a lesson learned.

·
12,482 Posts
Sending money to FRIENDS and FAMILY. Was the seller either? If not, then he's SOL.

Lesson learned.

Paypal sucks anyway.... I returned rashed fairings to the seller because he advertised as "BRAND NEW". He offered me my money back MINUS shipping. I refused the offer stating I required ALL my money back since the listing was incorrect. He never refunded me a dime...

I filed with Paypal and they decided in my favor, BUUUUUT because the seller didn't have the money in his Paypal account, they couldn't give me my money back.

Basically, Paypal said I was in the right, but I still got screwed over $300.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
He's pretty much, okay well 100% screwed. Lesson learned: Don't send money as a gift unless it is ACTUALLY A GIFT.

Paypal sucks.

If you DON'T require them to send it as a gift, you are setting yourself up to get scammed. If you DO require them to send it as a gift, they feel like they are being set up to be scammed.

http://www.montessoriathomebook.com/Home.html/2013/01/12/think-twice-before-selling-on-ebay/

Go read that.
That's nice, but it isn't really a "scam". They are just using the rules to their advantage. Unfortunately, with credit cards involved there will never be a middle ground. Even if eBay/Paypal was to extend the time frames out, each credit card company is different. Personally, I think paypal and the credit card companies need to sit down and come to an agreement, but the problem isn't big enough, and likely won't ever be.

Don't be fooled though, people will always find a way to steal shit. If you don't like people stealing your money, don't buy/sell anything without cash in hand or items in person.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Ya...any amount over $100 is getting paid under the 3%. Unless I personally know you the percent means nothing. If you dont price your item with that in mind...thats your own loss.
Someone tried to jip me on $30 item I paid via the "Friend" route. Guy straight up stiffed me... then laughed about it in a PM. Then was banned from here...lol. I still have his name & address though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts