Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do these things do?? They are pretty expensive are they really worth the money???

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
A power commander allows you to alter how much fuel is delivered to each cylinder at 500rpm increments up to 10k rpm's and then from there in 250rpm increments. This allow you to, say if you have an new slip on and air filter, to increase the amount of fuel delivered due to the increased flow because all things being equal, you increase the airflow but keep the same amount fo fuel delivered, you will have a lean condition. This will allow you to optimize your bike to take advantage of all the performance mods you've made and to eliminate flat spots.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a reasonable thing to do. How do you determine what adjustments to make?? Does your airfilter go into account?? I have a Micron exhaust on my bike. Is there instructions that differenciate between exhaust types?? Do you have to adjust it again if I put a K and N filter on the bike?? Is it pretty user friendly??? Does it increase HP and torque?? Just a few questions!! Thanks for the INFO

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
The best way to do it, is to take it to a certified power commander center and have them make a custom map for you which I think is around $300. Best bet is to wait until you got all the go fast mods on it to do this. Or you can use the seta of the pants dyno to tune it. For that, I would d/l a map off the power commander website and load it into the PCIII then go for a ride and see where it feels like it isn't pulling as strong as others and then bump up the fuel in that area and then ride it again. Not ver scientific though. When you get it done at a tuning center, they use an exhaust gas analyzer that tells them if they are running rich or lean and then they canmake adjustments there. And if you have an 03 and up, I'm 99% sure you can also adjust the timing as well. And they have a new utility as well called the accelerator pump which as additional fuel under certain conditions. Best bet is to read on their website and then check the download section for the different mpas they have.

The software seems pretty easy to use. there are tutorials on the website on how to use it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
YO MATE I'V PUT MY PC DISK IN MY COMPUTER. GOT TO THE FIRST MENU- INSTALL SOFTWARE.
when i press this a note comes saying-

Setup is unable to find installation languages in E:\PCIII\SETUP.LIDfile

Error 105

WOT DOES THIS ALL MEAN? WOT DO I NEED TO SORT IT OUT

·
Registered
953 Posts
poor bravo.. you've been trying to get this to work for a long time. :BS

you on a mac or pc and what version of windows if your using a pc?

·
Registered
27 Posts
uhm, more fuel doesn't equal more power. you actually want the mixture as lean as possible without doing damage. there is a window from which the motor will run best. you cannot tune by the "seat of your pants", unless the motor pops or something very obvious. you need exhaust temp in order to get air/fuel mixture ratings. or you could use an o2 sensor setup. either way, you really need a dyno and a pyrometer/o2 setup in order to tune. the only thing that will cause damage is if the setup is too lean though... it should be obvious, because the exhaust will likely discolor and the motor will pop. some times you can tell by the spark plugs too.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yeah, i just spent 2 days last week figuring out adjustments on a dyno with the PC. Understand how to do it and such, but I still have alot to learn with it. I've also have lots of tuning experience with carbs and such, so that really helps.

I think the best way to tune is by checking the plugs and using EGT's (exhaust gas temps) like mentioned above. A exhaust gas analyzer is a good way to do it and more logical cause checking plugs in incriments in 250 rpms and 9 different throttle positions all the way to 16,000 rpms just isnt gonna happen. So a analyzer will make it alot quicker.

The best way is to use plug readings in direct relation to EGT's. Find a good plug reading, match it to the EGT. Then you know what your plugs are looking like with that exhaust temp #.

A PC is a good thing to have, but I don't recommed doing adjustments without some experience. From my experience, it is physically easier than jetting carbs, but the whole tuning process is alot harder!!

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
ya i saw that and i havent found a better price online yet but theyre are some that are really close to it. i think calsportbike had em for 265 or so.

·
Registered
118 Posts
loki1313 said:
i think calsportbike had em for 265 or so.
Yeah, thats a good price too, but i dont think calsportbike will custom load maps for free according to the mods you have. This guy does it all for you, along with what appears to be an unbeatable price.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just went looking in my old auctions and that price is a good deal. Jump on it since its a buy it now. You want a custom map anyway. The map from dynojet gave me 132 and after it was tuned I have 139. This was on my 929 with [email protected], and full hindle. You can tune by the seat of your pants but always start and keep the base map!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts