Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be picking up a full leo vince system within the next week but need help with what fuel management system to get.

I'm not that experienced with tuning and this is my first bike so what would you guys recommend. I have basic mechanic skills but I read the bazzaz install is a bit in depth compared to the Pc3.

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i like the bazzaz, but then again i've upgraded mine once now (from the regular zfi to the zfi-qs) and also have the afm (auto tune). i LOVE it - and buddies of mine that have gone from a dynotuned pc3 to a bazzaz and afm say it's like stepping up to a built motor. not sure if it's 100% true, but i do know that my bike would pull both the dynotuned pc3 bike, AND the "shelf mapped" pc3 bike, AND the stock bike (all 06/07 R6 bikes).

the price for just the box is about the same - but the pc3 is dying technology. the pc5 is the next step up, and that's more flexible in terms of tuning and expansion like the bazzaz is.

hopefully this didn't confuse you too much.

there's a how-to on the bazzaz install on here that i did - i can do an entire system now in about an hour (took me 2 days for my first one). :nono

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
With what your saying I would recommend the pcv. It will be easier to install and yo ucan get it with a basic map already loaded on it. Us (or any dynojet dealer) can upload a map on it so you can just install it and go. You could also get a custom dyno tune if you wanted or even install the auto tune, sfm, etc and tune it yourself, control 8 injectors, etc. That's down the road though if you want to learn how to do your own tuning. If you really want to do your own tuning then I do like the Bazzaz, but if you don't think you'll want to do your own tuning then get the pcv. It has a huge map database, more dyno tuning centers know the unit, and you can upgrade it to do nearly everything later on down the road if you want to.

Custom tuning yourself is great, but you really need to be mechanically inclined or willing to learn a lot to do it properly or you risk damaging your engine.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
i like the bazzaz, but then again i've upgraded mine once now (from the regular zfi to the zfi-qs) and also have the afm (auto tune). i LOVE it - and buddies of mine that have gone from a dynotuned pc3 to a bazzaz and afm say it's like stepping up to a built motor. not sure if it's 100% true, but i do know that my bike would pull both the dynotuned pc3 bike, AND the "shelf mapped" pc3 bike, AND the stock bike (all 06/07 R6 bikes).

the price for just the box is about the same - but the pc3 is dying technology. the pc5 is the next step up, and that's more flexible in terms of tuning and expansion like the bazzaz is.

hopefully this didn't confuse you too much.

there's a how-to on the bazzaz install on here that i did - i can do an entire system now in about an hour (took me 2 days for my first one). :nono
I'm one of these guys. While maybe not quite a "built motor," it does feel like I gained about 10 extra hp. You can set you A/F ratio to whatever you'd like and adjust the percentages from there as well. I don't know much about the PCV but I'd give the advantage to Bazzaz. Hey, the big boys in the AMA run Bazzaz so it can't be all that bad:lmao

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I've been looking at a zfi and afm for a pretty sick price, basically the same price as a used pc3. I was just worried that without prior tuning experience I would mess things up and the bike would never run smooth again lol.

I'm leaning towards the bazzaz even more now after your guys input.

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
If you go the Bazzaz route don't be afraid to ask questions. There are plenty of threads on it with lots of great information on them.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
The zfi and zafm are way over the price of a pc3. The pc3 is cheaper then just the zfi and then you still need the zafm. You can mess things up with the bazzaz zafm or the dynojet auto tune and wreck your engine if done incorrectly. If you're going to self tune it do your research prior to purchasing and getting into it. If you're not the diy type of guy or mechanically inclined these are the last things you want to touch. That's not saying you can't or shouldn't, but be willing to research and learn and become a diy type of guy if you get one of the self tuning fuel controllers.

Thanks for the help guys. I've been looking at a zfi and afm for a pretty sick price, basically the same price as a used pc3. I was just worried that without prior tuning experience I would mess things up and the bike would never run smooth again lol.

I'm leaning towards the bazzaz even more now after your guys input.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,639 Posts
Bazzaz use to have 8 injectors over the pcv, but a while back dynojet released their sfm which controls 8 injectors and lets you add a quickshifter. Not that you can't run a qs4 or hm quickshifter with the bazzaz zfi.

zfi:
controlls 8 injectors right out of the box
you set the afr then you have to apply the changes
gear dependent fuel trims
can store two maps and change them with a switch.
multiple afr's
smoothing feature
You can upgrade and go with the zfi-qs (quickshifter) or TC (traction control) units. The bazzaz quickshifter is one of the smoothest i've used, but it sounds like the op is just interested in the fuel controllers.

pcv:
controlls 4 injectors out of the box
you can buy the sfm to control 8
you set the afr and it auto changes the map for you or you can set it to manually do it like the bazzaz.
multiple afr's
smallest device out there