Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I installed MJS smog plates, MJS2 full exhaust system and a PC5. The PC5 had a map already installed by MJSperformance. I completed the install of the PC5 in accordance with the directions and did everything correctly. I then started the bike and it fired right up and ran smooth for the 20 seconds or so that I let it run. I buttoned everything else up and went to take it for a little test ride and it started up but when the temp hit around 120 or so the idle got rough and it died. Now if I want it to start I have to give the throttle a little twist to get it running. I also bought the autotuner but haven't installed it yet...do you think this may be the issue? Could it be that I installed the PC5 and not the autotuner yet? Not exactly sure how it works, but would the map that MJS put on the PC5 be tuned to have the AT hooked up? Any help would be nice. I've read through the sticky's and FAQ's already, but I'm just not getting anywhere. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
507 Posts
The AT will make a difference. The MJS Map given is for whatever bike they did the tune for and whatever parts it had installed. Bare essentials, but since you're in a different location with a totally different bike, the AT will smooth it out with the right AFR table.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Have you wound it out yet? Have you changed the plugs recently?

The AutoTune will make a big difference. However it should run without it. I've found if my bike stalls or dies, it loads up the plugs and I have to rev it out good once to clean them off and make it so it will idle again.

My bike makes more power with the richer mixture which unfortunately means my plugs typically don't last the 8k miles Yamaha recommends, I generally get 5k out of a set of plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I will try and put the AT on as soon as possible.

As far as winding it out, I haven't yet. I'm normally a very cautious person when I put on a few new parts on a vehicle at once. I'll go out and take it for a spin and see if it clears it up. Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OhioYJ - I took the bike out and ran it pretty good and now it's running great...no jumpy idle or any other discrepancies. I know the plugs need changing and that will be done here shortly. Also, thank you for your FAQ sticky you put together, alot of hard work and time was put into that and you probably don't hear it enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts