Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just letting everyone know how pumped I am about getting this stuff in. Unfortunately I won't be able to install tonight, but soon. I'm going to install the PCIII first, in stock mode, and then add the slip on and the map for the Akra. Just my own little test to see if, or what, difference there is between stock, stock with PCIII, and PCIII with Akra. I'll let everyone know what happens. It's suppose to rain until Sat. afternoon, so I may not get a good test until Sunday.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dvs1, or anybody else....I was looking thru my slip on mounting stuff and noticed that my muffler mounting clamp was black carbon fiber. Should this be titanium like the exterior of my muffler? Are all Akra mounting clamps black carbon fiber?

·
Registered
443 Posts
TulsaR6 said:
Dvs1, or anybody else....I was looking thru my slip on mounting stuff and noticed that my muffler mounting clamp was black carbon fiber. Should this be titanium like the exterior of my muffler? Are all Akra mounting clamps black carbon fiber?
Tulsa, the clamp that came with my Akra was also carbon fiber, I believe this is standard. Have you installed all your goodies?

·
Registered
5 Posts
what's up, guys? i have the same setup and i was curious what map you guys are using with your akra....
thanks for any info.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
b18ex said:
what's up, guys? i have the same setup and i was curious what map you guys are using with your akra....
thanks for any info.
i beleive u can check the PC website and find a map for the akra slip on to use. if not email hammy and i know he can get it for u :cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well....I started the post, so I better finish it. I put on the slip on and the PCIII and definitely noticed smoother power, also feels a tad bit stronger. I loaded the Euro Akra from PC and it seemed to do great. I called DynoJet today to clerify using the Euro version and he said no way. He said their fuel is different and it would make the bike run way lean. He said for me to use the Yosh slip on map, it would probably be the closed, so I changed it to that today. I'm not sure if I really notice any difference from either map, but I don't like iffy things, so I may have to fork over some bucks for a dyno tune. Does anyone have a custom map for an 03 with an Akra slip on with stock filter? Any other suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
TulsaR6 said:
Well....I started the post, so I better finish it. I put on the slip on and the PCIII and definitely noticed smoother power, also feels a tad bit stronger. I loaded the Euro Akra from PC and it seemed to do great. I called DynoJet today to clerify using the Euro version and he said no way. He said their fuel is different and it would make the bike run way lean. He said for me to use the Yosh slip on map, it would probably be the closed, so I changed it to that today. I'm not sure if I really notice any difference from either map, but I don't like iffy things, so I may have to fork over some bucks for a dyno tune. Does anyone have a custom map for an 03 with an Akra slip on with stock filter? Any other suggestions anyone?
hmmm....i have used the yoshi map and i'm currently using the euro akra slip on map and the pump accelerator software...never really noticed a diff in the two, but if the guys at dynojet say that the akra map i'm using will make the bike run lean, i may just switch back to the yoshi map myself...powercommander.com needs to just go ahead and post up a good map for the us bike with an akra slip on...shouldn't be too hard for them to get one :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
b18ex.....did you notice any difference between the 2 maps? It almost seemed like my bike liked the Euro map better than the Yosh. Another question....when you load a new map and then start the bike, does it usually cough as it gets use to the new settings?

·
Registered
5 Posts
TulsaR6 said:
b18ex.....did you notice any difference between the 2 maps? It almost seemed like my bike liked the Euro map better than the Yosh. Another question....when you load a new map and then start the bike, does it usually cough as it gets use to the new settings?
i didn't really notice a huge diff between the two maps...seemed like the bike ran a little smoother with the euro map though...as for the caughing...it usually idles a little funny for a minute or so, but then it's fine. i wish there was a place around here that could do a custom map for me....but oh well.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If we are running lean, would the bike be running hotter? And, would we be able to tell if we are lean, from the spark plug?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Back from the dyno with horsepower numbers......I was really disappointed with the baseline run, it was 93 hp, I was expecting around 104 because of the Akra slip on and the PCIII....the guy doing the dyno thought maybe something wasn't hooked up right, but we decided maybe it was the Yosh slip on map since there isn't a Akra map. He ended up getting 103.5hp and increased power thru the whole band. The bike runs really smooth and of course with 10 more horse than I was running, it feels a lot more powerful!! As for the Yosh map with the Akra slip on, I don't really know if that map caused the poor baseline, I hope not, because I know some of you are running that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
TulsaR6 said:
Back from the dyno with horsepower numbers......I was really disappointed with the baseline run, it was 93 hp, I was expecting around 104 because of the Akra slip on and the PCIII....the guy doing the dyno thought maybe something wasn't hooked up right, but we decided maybe it was the Yosh slip on map since there isn't a Akra map. He ended up getting 103.5hp and increased power thru the whole band. The bike runs really smooth and of course with 10 more horse than I was running, it feels a lot more powerful!! As for the Yosh map with the Akra slip on, I don't really know if that map caused the poor baseline, I hope not, because I know some of you are running that.

Tulsa, so you now have a custom map? Or are you running the Euro/Akra map? Also, if custom, how much did you pay?

Thanks bro :cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, I do have a custom map...and glad I do! It was $250. It's really obvious that all bikes are their own beasts, meaning not one is going to run the same or have the same manerisms. It would be nice, and should be high priority, if Power Commander would put in a map for the Akra slip on. Obviosly it's best and most effective to have a custom map for your own bike, but close is better than nothing. I really had no intentions of even spending the money to get the custom map, but now that I gained major power I'm really happy I did. Of course this doesn't mean that someone else is going to gain as much from it, I hope nobody else is experiencing just 93hp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you go to the the power commander web site, at the bottom of the home page, it has a button for "official Dyno Jet" tuning center. That would be the easiest way to see if you have one near you. Good luck, it's worth it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts