Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a used PCIII a short time ago to install on my 03 r6 and I honestly have no clue what i'm getting myself into. I have a two-brothers M-2 black carbon fiber exhaust on my bike that I installed last season, and currently I have a stock air-filter, but i'm looking to change that as well...so any suggestions would be great.

Anyways, I have a few questions for all the gear-heads out there, as i'm not very mechanically-inclined, but i'm doing my best to learn.

1. Suggestions on an air filter?

2. Does anyone have the same exhaust-filter-year of r6 combo as I do and has found that the map that Power Commander has on their website is sufficient? I understand that getting your bike dyno'd is the best way to have it perform at it's best, but I simply don't have the cash to get it done.

3. Does anyone have a great article or "how-to" to install this and do everything perfectly? A friend of mine who is at MMI told me that it was a good idea to unplug the bike's computer before installing the PCIII, and I just honestly have no idea how to do that.

I'm a visual learner, so if you know of any resources that could help, i'd greatly appreciate it. And yes...i'm somewhat of a mechanical "noob", but hopefully you guys wont be too rough on me and give me some excellent tips/advice. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Purchased a used PCIII a short time ago to install on my 03 r6 and I honestly have no clue what i'm getting myself into. I have a two-brothers M-2 black carbon fiber exhaust on my bike that I installed last season, and currently I have a stock air-filter, but i'm looking to change that as well...so any suggestions would be great.

Anyways, I have a few questions for all the gear-heads out there, as i'm not very mechanically-inclined, but i'm doing my best to learn.

1. Suggestions on an air filter?

2. Does anyone have the same exhaust-filter-year of r6 combo as I do and has found that the map that Power Commander has on their website is sufficient? I understand that getting your bike dyno'd is the best way to have it perform at it's best, but I simply don't have the cash to get it done.

3. Does anyone have a great article or "how-to" to install this and do everything perfectly? A friend of mine who is at MMI told me that it was a good idea to unplug the bike's computer before installing the PCIII, and I just honestly have no idea how to do that.

I'm a visual learner, so if you know of any resources that could help, i'd greatly appreciate it. And yes...i'm somewhat of a mechanical "noob", but hopefully you guys wont be too rough on me and give me some excellent tips/advice. Thanks in advance!
Hey man if you can't figure stuff out or you change your mind I'll buy it from you. I can't answer your questions though sorry
EDIT: I actually can help you out with the last question. By computer he ment ECU. Idk on the 03 but on the r6r you just take of the drivers seat and next to the battery there's a black box. That's the ecu. Just unplug it super easy. If you want visual guide just Google how to remove ecu r6 its super easy.

·
Registered
766 Posts
If you fallow the instructions you should be ok. However this is not a simple install if you dont know what you are doing. You will have to remove the tank, and maybe the airbox. If you are not that mechanically inclined, id be careful so you dont do any damage.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm not so mechanically inclined that I can't turn a wrench/know how to do it carefully, it's just more-so that i'm a visual learner and I don't enjoy going into things blind. I change my own oil and I installed the exhaust myself as well, so i'm not completely incompetent haha...I guess i'm just not that "confident" when it comes to working on it, and I just like to understand the whole picture before I dive in so I don't come across any surprises.

And you're correct (obviously) about the ECU...I'll google it and see what I find.

And another quick question. I've got the PCIII ready to go and installed the map, however it was locked at first and I had to reset it. My firmware is outdated (I believe it's v. 1.0.0.0.16 or something like that), but Dynojet says that I shouldn't encounter any issues if the PC took the map, which it did. What would be the benefit to having it updated?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And should I be unplugging the O2 sensor? I saw some threads/posts from other sites, albeit different bikes, saying that they unplugged the 02 sensor. I guess I understand why as the PC and O2 perform almost the same function, just curious how hard that is?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
The 03 does not have an O2 sensor....or upper injectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts