Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference? I know the pcIII says track use only, and the EX is the street legal, but who obeys that stuff anyways :sing
I mean, all aftermarket exhausts are for "track use only."

What one do you guys run?

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
I have the EX and I'm pissed that I do.

Bought it by mistake and been stuck with it for 2 years.

The difference is that with the EX you cannot tune anything on the low end of the rpms. You can only tune the top end.

So if you want to get a dyno tune, you're pretty much screwed. :comp

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
It's basically the California edition power commander. And we all know CA emissions laws suck. (but for good reasons of course)

This is what the tune screen looks like with the "EX" version.

the grey area is not tunable.

You can't tune anything between 500-3500 rpms.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
but who obeys that stuff anyways :sing
The manufacturers and distributors.... Honestly, its not cost effective for CARB to go after end users, its just too difficult and the monetary return wouldnt be worth the expenditure, and there are not enough bikes doing it to make a huge difference in terms of air quality.

The enforcement dollars are far better spent going after manufacturers and distributors who do not follow the laws and sell products illegally. Its much easier to look at Jesse James line of bikes, see there is no emissions equipment for the CA bikes, and hammer down on him. A) its very visible and it puts the message out there. B) it makes CARB money C) it shows manufacturers and distributors that they are messing with the law at their peril.

For example....sing
http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/casesett/dynojet.htm

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Damn. I had no idea that happened. :eek5
Dynojet didnt put out the PC3EX because they wanted to....:laugh

Jesse James and Arlen Ness are on the list as well IIRC. I wouldnt be surprised to see Bazzaz added as well, but I dont have any ties to that section of CARB, so I cant tell you for sure. And even if I did know something, I wouldnt be able to comment. Either way, if you plan to sell something that mods your emissions in CA, you better talk to CARB about it or be ready to pay the price.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Damn Cali sucks when it comes to restrictions.
Damn, Cali sucks when it comes to breathing our shitty air. Wait, what?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Yeah, but when your skies look like this:

you gotta be thankful they're doing something about it.
:secret or at least trying.
yeah, the Central Valley is ridiculous. I remember as a kid you could see from one side to the other any day of the week. Now you're lucky if you can do it once a week.... California's Central Valley is a really geographically bad scenario in terms of air quality. We make our own and get it from other places....

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
yeah, the Central Valley is ridiculous. I remember as a kid you could see from one side to the other any day of the week. Now you're lucky if you can do it once a week.... California's Central Valley is a really geographically bad scenario in terms of air quality. We make our own and get it from other places....
reminds me of when I lived in the Philippines. I used to walk around with a bandana wrapped around my face when I was in the main cities. Literally smelled like shite. You could see the smog at eye level.

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The manufacturers and distributors.... Honestly, its not cost effective for CARB to go after end users, its just too difficult and the monetary return wouldnt be worth the expenditure, and there are not enough bikes doing it to make a huge difference in terms of air quality.

The enforcement dollars are far better spent going after manufacturers and distributors who do not follow the laws and sell products illegally. Its much easier to look at Jesse James line of bikes, see there is no emissions equipment for the CA bikes, and hammer down on him. A) its very visible and it puts the message out there. B) it makes CARB money C) it shows manufacturers and distributors that they are messing with the law at their peril.

For example....sing
http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/casesett/dynojet.htm
Hmm, that makes sense that they go straight to the source. I guess it isn't terrible, but what I dont get is why they go after motorcycles and such, while there are dump trucks and such cruising around shooting black smoke everywhere. Not to mention the ******** in f250's that wear it like a badge of honor.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Hmm, that makes sense that they go straight to the source. I guess it isn't terrible, but what I dont get is why they go after motorcycles and such, while there are dump trucks and such cruising around shooting black smoke everywhere. Not to mention the ******** in f250's that wear it like a badge of honor.
Because you cant single out parts of the population. Everyone has room to give, even now. CARB cant get everyone. They cant. They can try, but there are what, 6000 employees and something like 40million Californians. If you take out half of that, say you have 20 million people with a car or bike or whatever (just one). Assuming you did a yearly inspection, 7 days a week, and had everyone at CARB inspecting, everyone would have to inspect 9 vehicles per day just to meet the demand. Its just not possible. This is why we have fleet averaging, emissions legal tags, and test procedures. CARB gets more bang for its buck getting the reductions BEFORE the car leaves the showroom, not after. And its not like CARB operates for profit. There is an anti-smog/pollution number you can call if you have an issue with a very pollutive vehicle, like say your douche neighbors f250.

Also, I have heard rumors of roadside detectors in the works that are like speed cameras that can target gross polluters, but I am not sure where this is in the development and legal implementation stages.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
And I bet they would be a bit cheaper if this didn't happen.... :fact
Dont count on it. Its not that different than the 49 stater....:laugh

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Because you cant single out parts of the population. Everyone has room to give, even now. CARB cant get everyone. They cant. They can try, but there are what, 6000 employees and something like 40million Californians. If you take out half of that, say you have 20 million people with a car or bike or whatever (just one). Assuming you did a yearly inspection, 7 days a week, and had everyone at CARB inspecting, everyone would have to inspect 9 vehicles per day just to meet the demand. Its just not possible. This is why we have fleet averaging, emissions legal tags, and test procedures. CARB gets more bang for its buck getting the reductions BEFORE the car leaves the showroom, not after. And its not like CARB operates for profit. There is an anti-smog/pollution number you can call if you have an issue with a very pollutive vehicle, like say your douche neighbors f250.

Also, I have heard rumors of roadside detectors in the works that are like speed cameras that can target gross polluters, but I am not sure where this is in the development and legal implementation stages.
We have this here in Colorado. They set them up on Highway on ramps so you can't get around it.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Well, for motorcycle modifying purposes I'm glad I live in Florida.
For now....:fact Florida is too busy with hookers, meth, coke, illegal cubexicaminicans at the moment.
No lol, I meant if they didn't have to pay out for that settlement. I'm sure they hiked their prices to pay for that lawsuit...Even if it was only a few dollars a unit.
:D
We have this here in Colorado. They set them up on Highway on ramps so you can't get around it.
Yep, that's what I had heard... They assume you will be heavily accelerating at that point, so theoretically, if you werent that bad, you could slowly cruise by and still pass, but eventually, you'll get caught.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts