Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2008 Yamaha r6 that I will be racing. I will be buying a PCV along with a graves full titanium exhaust system in a few days. I see there are maps offered on the graves website for this, and people on this forum have maps available. My question is that should I get the the autotune or not? If I have the graves map, will the autotune fine tune the map automatically according to my engine? Do you either have a map or an autotune? Im confused if you cant tell! Thanks in advance for the help:cheers

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
The AutoTune and a fuel map work together (this is different for the Bazzaz). The PCV AutoTune makes live changes, so any changes the AutoTune suggests are being used.

So yes, you want to start with the Graves map, then let the AutoTune make changes as needed.

I have quite a bit of AutoTune information in the FAQ stickied at the top this exhaust section.

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts
Use our map on the Graves site. It's built for the exhaust and on the same dyno our AMA race bikes are tuned on. The data will be more accurate. If you want to fine tune the map to your location or slight changes put an auto tuner on it...

Grabbing random maps is pointless when Graves maps are done by Chuck Graves who tunes all the Yamaha US factory bikes...

Cheers...

Shane @ Graves

·
At least it looks fast.
389 Posts
What is the point of having a "base map" if an AutoTuner is used? It sounds like the Autotune makes changes on the fly so wouldn't that make the base map useless? I'm confused.:dunce:

I'm assuming I need to do a lot more reading on the subject and that I am also a moron.

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts
A bike needs fuel taken away and added at key points to make the smoothest powerband, the most mid range power and the most overall power.

If that's been done with a map by a good tuner (like our's - Chuck Graves who tunes the race bikes). You can use those settings a starting point.

Everyone lives somewhere different. Temperatures, elevations etc all play into the tune... If you live WAY up in the mountains or at sea level you'll always want to set the AFR on the auto tuner to a certain level and then ride > update the auto tuner map to fine tune the settings. This insures your not too rich or too lean. Otherwise you are forcing the auto tuner to make take a stock map and tune your bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts