Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a couple of questions for you for when I go to install my K&N and V-stacks.

1. The tank is as least 2/3 full, is it going to leak gas out of the overfolw tube or anything, should I empty it, should I go ride around and try to burn some off, weather ain't looking good over the next week.

2. Am I biting off more than I can chew with the velocity stacks or is it just take off the airbox and there right there, If you have some pics that would be great.

3. Is there any little small tools or supplies that I need that you don't realize you need until shit is all takin apart.

4. Any more suggestions to make it a smooth process would be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
z31maniac said:
Had a couple of questions for you for when I go to install my K&N and V-stacks.

1. The tank is as least 2/3 full, is it going to leak gas out of the overfolw tube or anything, should I empty it, should I go ride around and try to burn some off, weather ain't looking good over the next week.

2. Am I biting off more than I can chew with the velocity stacks or is it just take off the airbox and there right there, If you have some pics that would be great.

3. Is there any little small tools or supplies that I need that you don't realize you need until shit is all takin apart.

4. Any more suggestions to make it a smooth process would be greatly appreciated?

ok, first thing is to download the manual if you don't have it already here. it is good in showing thru exploded diagrams of what to disconnect and where it goes when you re-assemble it. what i do is make a note of bolt sizes and wire colors on the page from the manual for future reference. start at section 3 of the manual and it will show you have to remove the tank (or prop it up) and how to remove the airbox (page 84 of 434). you might have to disconnect a few harnesses under the tank to get it up high enough to remove the airbox. when i did mine, i removed it completely cuz i was also installing the slide stops as well which was easier thru removing the whole throttle body assemebly. when you get the clamps that hold the airbox to the throttle bodies loose, just kind of shimmy it a bit and it will come up. use the same process to seat the airbox back onto those rubber clamps. tighten it them up and done. just have patience and enjoy doing it. otherwise if you worry to much about it, you will **** something up although doing just this mod there honestly isn't much you can **** up. If you have anymore questions, hit me up or hit up RedlineR6. he's kinda the resident mechanic.

1. nope. just unbolt the front tank bolts and rotate the tank back and prop it up with something. you could use bunge cords tru the bolt holes and strap it to a passenger peg to hold it. or a piece of 2x4 to hold it up.
2. the vstax are simple. remove the tank and airbox and install. to remove the airbox, you have to loosen to clamps underneath the airbox with I believe a 4mm allen wrench. some long T handle ones are good for this. you might have to trim some of the openings to get them to fit or tap them in a bit cuz the stock rubber ones conform to the abnormalities of the stock openings and the aluminum ones don't really conform to well...
3. no special tools required.
4. have fun and enjoy it!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
i don't think it is necessary but it certainly isn't hard to do. just get a siphon pump that they use for kerosene heaters from home depot and use that. i pumped mine into a bucket and used it to kill some vegetation around the house. then again, unless the fuel hose has some kind of check valve on it, it my drain back. like i said, mine was already drained so i can't tell ya for sure if it will leak if you have to disconnect anything.

·
Registered
527 Posts
It will make the tank lighter but just taking it off will not cause gas to go everywhere. Thats the good part to a Yammy!!! Now on my bike thats a problem. Tell us how it goes when you get everything on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
fireblade is right--the only gas that will come out is the gas that is in the hose when you disconect it. You can even leave it right side up and it will not leak. If you turn it upside down it will start to come out though.

Plus there are pictures of my install on damn.net under gcofieldd

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
One word of advice.
When you go to take off your throttle bodies, it will be virtually impossible to loosen them first, but the good news is: You don't have to.

Rock them front to back while pulling upward, and they will pop off.
Then loosen the clamps to put it back on. The clamps are so tight from the factory, you'll strip them trying to get them off at those funky angles.

The only special tools you'll need are the long T-handle hex keys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts