Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Motorcycles rock!!
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Penske shock has eyelet holes that are 0.500-inches in diameter, but the OEM mounting bolts are only 10 mm (0.393-inches). What are you folks doing: (1) using a sleeve/spacer to take up the clearance, (2) just using the stock 10 mm bolt, or (3) other?

If you are using a sleeve/spacer, did you just fabricate them yourself, buy them, other?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I suggest giving Penske a call and seeing what their tech support has to say.

·
Motorcycles rock!!
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I picked it up used. The manual that was downloaded from their web site has a lot of information, just no installation notes. That is fine as the shock only attaches via two bolts.

I am most likely going to replace the fluid, so I may just ask Penske if the sell any spacers.

I was just curious what other folks were doing.

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
I picked it up used. The manual that was downloaded from their web site has a lot of information, just no installation notes. That is fine as the shock only attaches via two bolts.

I am most likely going to replace the fluid, so I may just ask Penske if the sell any spacers.

I was just curious what other folks were doing.
+1 on wanting to know what others are doing. Keep us posted!

·
Pin it to win it!
358 Posts
For the upper mounting I use the Penske supplied spacers. For the bottom clevis mount I use the OEM bolts and no slop.

·
Motorcycles rock!!
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Penske sells bushings that are $10.60 each for my specific application.

I could probably buy 1/2-inch OD spacers for less, but then I would have to drill out the ID to fit a 10 mm bolt. Thus, I will probably just buy the bushings from Penske and call it a day.

I am probably going to replace the fluid as well, so I will wait to see if it needs any additional parts and make one order.

·
#113 MetricDevilMoto
56 Posts
The Penske shock has eyelet holes that are 0.500-inches in diameter, but the OEM mounting bolts are only 10 mm (0.393-inches). What are you folks doing: (1) using a sleeve/spacer to take up the clearance, (2) just using the stock 10 mm bolt, or (3) other?

If you are using a sleeve/spacer, did you just fabricate them yourself, buy them, other?

i can point you in the direction of Penske's leading east coast tech who also happens to be my team owner. "Metric" Mike Faillace can answer your question pretty definitively if you're interested. he'd answer the question on his forum @ www.metricdevilmoto.com/forum. Just trying to help. Good luck!

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
i can point you in the direction of Penske's leading east coast tech who also happens to be my team owner. "Metric" Mike Faillace can answer your question pretty definitively if you're interested. he'd answer the question on his forum @ www.metricdevilmoto.com/forum. Just trying to help. Good luck!
Since you guys deal with Penske a LOT, what's your opinion on it vs the ohlins TTX or even the YA-606(which may be more comparable)?

·
#113 MetricDevilMoto
56 Posts
Since you guys deal with Penske a LOT, what's your opinion on it vs the ohlins TTX or even the YA-606(which may be more comparable)?
Well, what I like best about the Penske is that the shock can be used on a different bike if you choose to get a new bike or whatever just by changing a few internal bits. I think thats much more practical than buying a new shock for each bike. I'm also seeing a lot more AMA teams going with Penske as well. Yosh Suzuki is one of the better teams rocking the Penske's alongside the Ohlins. They've said that the Penske requires a lot less set up to get the desired effect. I'm just not fast enough to feel a difference between the makes of shocks though. I just got the 8983 installed on my bike in the beginning of the season and love it!

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
Well, what I like best about the Penske is that the shock can be used on a different bike if you choose to get a new bike or whatever just by changing a few internal bits. I think thats much more practical than buying a new shock for each bike. I'm also seeing a lot more AMA teams going with Penske as well. Yosh Suzuki is one of the better teams rocking the Penske's alongside the Ohlins. They've said that the Penske requires a lot less set up to get the desired effect. I'm just not fast enough to feel a difference between the makes of shocks though. I just got the 8983 installed on my bike in the beginning of the season and love it!
:werd

Thx for the info man. I really don't know too much about em. But people do really like em. The TTX is a piece of cake. I haven't had all the crazy setup problems people talk about. WCW did me right!!

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,234 Posts
Dunno if it's still relevant, but I lucked into my Penske through a guy who was parting a racebike he knew jack about :) It came with exact bushings for my bike, since my R6 and the racebike were same gen. So apparently Penske supplied them at some point, unless he had them made up custom! Which would really only cost a few bucks at a machine shop. I had spacers for a rear wheel swap made up custom one time, only cost me $35 I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts