Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have an 08 r6 that is only used for the track. Going to be racing this next season and its time for the stock suspension to go. Which brand does everyone prefer? One of the guys at the track that owns a shop for bikes, recommends Penske, because they are just about as good as the ohlins, just without the need to mess with settings throughout the day. The way he described it was that ohlins were no doubt the best, but, he runs the Penske because they don't need to be tuned all day. He is a very very good racer and has won several ccs championships, and I believe he does some AMA racing aswell, so he knows what he's talking about. What do you guys think is the best? I want to be sure on this before I drop a few thousand $$ on the forks and shock. What are the PROS and CONS of both these setups? Thanks a ton for all the help everyone! ive posted several times on this forum and always end up with fantastic results! :cheers

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
needs adjusted throughout the day ? whatever .. Tires go off. Shocks don't. they both are good. Consider the JRi shock too. shave's almost 3 lbs off vs an ohlins or penske. I sold both my Ohlins shocks when i got the jri. Have hardly touched a clicker in 2 years. Serviced 1 time a season. I have ran penske in the past on my 03-04 bikes. good shocks. all are constantly evolving. I race a lil' ..

·
2 > 4
156 Posts
Penske or JRi.

The Ohlins shock has a much shorter service interval so you will have to take/send it to your suspension guy 2-3 times more often than the other two. That adds up in time pulling the shock off and money spent servicing it.

All three (Penske, Ohlins, JRi) are on pretty level ground otherwise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From what I know they are all very similar. I would choose the one that has the closest servicer to you. Also look at who is at your track days/races because thats when your going to want to dial it in.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Penske or JRi.

The Ohlins shock has a much shorter service interval so you will have to take/send it to your suspension guy 2-3 times more often than the other two. That adds up in time pulling the shock off and money spent servicing it.

All three (Penske, Ohlins, JRi) are on pretty level ground otherwise.
i am honestly not sure how you would deduce that .. prior to running JRi, i had ohlins (2005-2012), and penske from 2003-2004. I never found that to be the case really. service intervals are pretty similar from one to another. Not that im' a suspension expert, but have never heard Thermosman say that.. but i will ask!

·
2 > 4
156 Posts
i am honestly not sure how you would deduce that .. prior to running JRi, i had ohlins (2005-2012), and penske from 2003-2004. I never found that to be the case really. service intervals are pretty similar from one to another. Not that im' a suspension expert, but have never heard Thermosman say that.. but i will ask!
I read the spec on the shocks and spoke with Dave Alexander (Ohlins Tech for AMA Ducati/Fluid Suspension Science). The recommended interval for the Ohlins is much shorter. I haven't ever had Ohlins, but this was what I was told.

I believe that they both could go about the same but the times I found from the manufacturer was 30 hours for Penske and 10 hours for Ohlins. I have no idea if Ohlins is just being paranoid though and could do 30 hours also.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I read the spec on the shocks and spoke with Dave Alexander (Ohlins Tech for AMA Ducati/Fluid Suspension Science). The recommended interval for the Ohlins is much shorter. I haven't ever had Ohlins, but this was what I was told.

I believe that they both could go about the same but the times I found from the manufacturer was 30 hours for Penske and 10 hours for Ohlins. I have no idea if Ohlins is just being paranoid though and could do 30 hours also.
recommended could vary a lot, but in my experience, all the shocks will be fine with similar service intervals. I do mine 1 time a year.. (2 bikes that split duty, but LOTS of racing). Forks ? gotta do those more often as they travel 1:1 with bumps. Shock travel ratio less for a bump due to linkage reducing shock travel..

Honda crf450 crank change interval per the manual is 50 hours . . but reality is unless you are on an outdoor mx track at pro pace, 100 hrs is pretty reasonable. For outdoor harescramble/enduro use, i go 200hrs. Went further before but bad things occurred.

gmd ft lauderdale or DanQ could correct me here as i'm not a suspension expert, i just race em :)

·
2 > 4
156 Posts
Good to know Melk-Man. As I said, I have no real experience with Ohlins and the stuff is probably fine. I am an engineer by trade so I tend to take recommendations a bit (overly) seriously.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Good to know Melk-Man. As I said, I have no real experience with Ohlins and the stuff is probably fine. I am an engineer by trade so I tend to take recommendations a bit (overly) seriously.
no worries.. talk with your suspension guy. he would have a good idea on refresh intervals or your specific stuff, as he would be seeing similar/same models on a regular basis.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
my advice;

if you go to the tracks that you normally go to and go see what the suspension guy uses (and is able to service properly), you should get THAT shock. it would be an awful shame if you picked a shock that nobody at your local stomping grounds carries parts for or can service in a pinch.

i feel that they all are close enough in performance that you gotta make your decision based on availability and convenience...

s3aturnr

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
just a word on servicing forks/shocks though..
whenever possible, SHIP the items to your suspension guy (i prefer Thermosman). Why you ask :) Because you will often get a better job vs having to do it trackside. Why is that you ask :) Because trackside, these guys are bombarded with questions from riders, and there are times they can get sidetracked at worst, or not be able to concentrate on giving you the ideal job at best.

Then if you have fine tuning questions, just call them or talk with them trackside. ALSO! when you wait to service your stuff trackside ? YOU ARE MISSING SESSIONS! now how much did you save vs. shipping your stuff ? ;)

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I just did my ohlins stuff last week. Cant remember the last time it was serviced.
Rear oil was nasty and the shock felt stiff. Front & rear worked alil better.

T-man does the important stuff (revalve, etc) at night in his trailer as I witnessed this weekend. He is a regular celeb in the pits. Couple guys were timid about approaching him but were glad they did after the wait.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I just did my ohlins stuff last week. Cant remember the last time it was serviced.
Rear oil was nasty and the shock felt stiff. Front & rear worked alil better.

T-man does the important stuff (revalve, etc) at night in his trailer as I witnessed this weekend. He is a regular celeb in the pits. Couple guys were timid about approaching him but were glad they did after the wait.
yup.. but ya still may get the extra special treatment on your stuff, if he doesn't have "paparazzi" breathing down his neck ;) Ship it out and let em do it in the comfort of the shop away from the track when possible.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
I'll have to dig it up when I get home but I could of sworn the Ohlins shock service interval was 20 hours...
it's all relative.. faster riders, more laps completed in the same time frame.
Also, watch this :) 15 min sessions x 4 per day on average x 2 days (1 weekend) = 2 hours a weekend
x 12 weekends per year = 24 hours a year +/-
Pretty safe to say that servicing 1 time a year is gonna be juuuuuuust fine

I service my dirt bike shocks every 20-30 hours, and i ASSURE you, there is more total travel of that shock during the same time, than on a roadrace shock

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts
Also, watch this :) 15 min sessions x 4 per day on average x 2 days (1 weekend) = 2 hours a weekend

I service my dirt bike shocks every 20-30 hours, and i ASSURE you, there is more total travel of that shock during the same time, than on a roadrace shock
As always, checks out! :cheers:

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

Only 4, 15 minute sessions a day? C'mon Melk, it's time to put in some work. ;)

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Only 4, 15 minute sessions a day? C'mon Melk, it's time to put in some work. ;)
eh.. :) some longer, some shorter. I likely do more. 5 practice sessions saturday, 6 sprint races on sunday. However i may not stay out the entire practice session. Will go out with a setting and knock out a few laps, come in, make a change, go back out. I may stay out but practice session is likely 10 minutes or so. Races are 6 laps at 1:25 a lap (average off top of my head for most Southeast tracks).
But the figure i posted earlier would be pretty typical for most. ;)

Also. i have 2 bikes, so time is split between em. (one supersport one superbike). forks get done a little more than once a year, and shocks get done once a year. most of the time fluids were good, but it's more of a preventative/exploratory routine too. I have probably had 2 mechanical DNF's in 5 years..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts