Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so, whats the difference between the 20mm, 25mm and 30mm kits? What do they actually replace inside the forks and how are they better than the stockers? Is it valving or springs or something else?

This is what I know about shocks in general:

Spring (specific spring rate), and fluid that goes through an orifice (specific diameter) both help in damping and rebound. Depending on the combination of these two, the shock works either perfect or crappy. Preload is just loading up the spring inside the tube. Compression and rebound are adjusted through the valving.

My understanding of suspension is basic, am I correct thus far?

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
so, whats the difference between the 20mm, 25mm and 30mm kits? What do they actually replace inside the forks and how are they better than the stockers? Is it valving or springs or something else?

This is what I know about shocks in general:

Spring (specific spring rate), and fluid that goes through an orifice (specific diameter) both help in damping and rebound. Depending on the combination of these two, the shock works either perfect or crappy. Preload is just loading up the spring inside the tube. Compression and rebound are adjusted through the valving.

My understanding of suspension is basic, am I correct thus far?
You seem to have the concept down - the cartridge kits basically replace everything inside the front fork and the respective valve sizes just allow more fluid to pass. While the 20mm isn't really a hot ticket any more - I'm sure it will still outperform stock by a fair margin.

My ohlins forks actually have compression on one fork and rebound is controlled by the other :screwy.

differences between double and triple clickers? lol, I'm a suspension noob :bash
The difference is at lap times a lot faster than we'll be running. IIRC, the difference between double and triple clicker is the separation of high and low speed rebound.

If you've got the change - I think this is a great deal to pick up.

:cheers

·
Registered
142 Posts
The difference is at lap times a lot faster than we'll be running. IIRC, the difference between double and triple clicker is the separation of high and low speed rebound.
:cheers
+1. My suspension guy says that if the shock is setup/valved right, you should never have to change the high speed rebound setting... so a double clicker should be good enough for most mortals.

That said, I still would like to have a 3-clicker for the bling factor and never have to worry about regrets lol

Wish they'd do a deal with the 3-clicker.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Meh, 20mm and a double. Better than stock, but if you're going to drop that kind of money you might as well spend a little more and get a better setup.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
hmmmmmmm.... that's basically ~$600 for the $550 for the front cartridges. that's stupid cheap. especially seeing as how you do the 8983 rear with a set of ak20's up front - installed with tax, locally - you're looking at ~$2200.

that's stupid cheap. how did i go from looking at a refresh to possibly getting new suspension completely?! dammit.

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
hmmmmmmm.... that's basically ~$600 for the $550 for the front cartridges. that's stupid cheap. especially seeing as how you do the 8983 rear with a set of ak20's up front - installed with tax, locally - you're looking at ~$2200.

that's stupid cheap. how did i go from looking at a refresh to possibly getting new suspension completely?! dammit.
:D As soon as I saw this thread I thought "can't wait till Justin sees this" :toocool:

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
I went from maybe getting tire warmers to an entire build. :lmao

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
FYI I've also heard a lot of riders prefer ther 25mm valves as opposed to the new 30mm.

·
B4B
6,864 Posts
I'm seeing a lot of 20mm and double clicker ehhhhh meh stuff. I would pay money to see anybody in this thread "outride" that set up.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
I'm seeing a lot of 20mm and double clicker ehhhhh meh stuff. I would pay money to see anybody in this thread "outride" that set up.
It doesn't matter if you can "out ride" it, all that matters is feel. If you can feel a difference, and are faster on one than the other then it's worth it.

·
B4B
6,864 Posts
It doesn't matter if you can "out ride" it, all that matters is feel. If you can feel a difference, and are faster on one than the other then it's worth it.
I see your point but I think someone who has never ridden on a full suspension would be reluctant to get 30mm and a triple clicker just bc its better than a 20/double. Remember the deal you got isn't very common. And someone who can "feel a difference" as opposed to what?? Someone who's never done this wouldn't necessarily feel difference between 20, 25, or 30; and some would. Skill level comes into play here as well. Its jsut that I see soo many guys with the "lesser" of the set ups that are lightening fast. Skill just goes a long way in a discussion such as this. Guarantee you put Valentino on a stock shit and he would rape our booty holes. I'm just simply trying to illustrate a principle. Not trying to bicker at all here.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
Says you?

I see your point but I think someone who has never ridden on a full suspension would be reluctant to get 30mm and a triple clicker just bc its better than a 20/double. Remember the deal you got isn't very common. And someone who can "feel a difference" as opposed to what?? Someone who's never done this wouldn't necessarily feel difference between 20, 25, or 30; and some would. Skill level comes into play here as well. Its jsut that I see soo many guys with the "lesser" of the set ups that are lightening fast. Skill just goes a long way in a discussion such as this. Guarantee you put Valentino on a stock shit and he would rape our booty holes. I'm just simply trying to illustrate a principle. Not trying to bicker at all here.
^^^ This.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts