Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I couldn't find a section for it so I hope this is the right place.

I've been daily driving my 2007 R6s and got a bit complacent. After I noticed my bike has been running hotter than usual, I decided to check the coolant. I found it danger low (as in like a spit full of fluid.) So I topped it off with regular coolant (probably, not the best thing to do.)

On the way back home, I drive about 3 miles in city streets which is wear I notice the smell. When I'm at a red light stopped, I look at my lights, and you can see smoke like something is burning. It also has a weird smell that I can't quite put my fingers on. I'm think it is either like a coolant or hot metal smell that I have never noticed before.

Last winter, I'm pretty sure my bike was averaging about 170ish on a cool day (70 degrees). And i'm pretty sure on really cold days (50 deg f) it was at about 163ish.

So far I have noticed it is staying at about 180-190 and going up to 210 ish when idling at a red light. Which is odd, because that is the same temperature during hot summer days 100-110 degrees it would hit about 220 when idling.

The bike has not overheated (230+) even though I don't know how long I ran it with low coolant.

Once I get home I try to sniff around to locate the burning smell, but can't find it. It is really bugging me, because I have never smelled it before. I rode in the rain for a couple days ago, and I can't remember smelling it prior to that. Exhausts look a bit oxidized too. Small orange spots.

This weekend I will try to get the OEM yamacool coolant to do a coolant flush, as I haven't done it in all my years 6 years of ownership. I also haven't burped it to get possible air pockets out.

Should I be worried about the smell?
Shouldn't my bike be running a lot cooler? Maybe it is just the old coolant not working good?

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update, today it was running at 163-170 going 80ish at 7k rpm. It runs at 180-190 when I'm going 40-50 at 6-8k. So temp seems normal, but I'm still getting the burning smell. Got it today on the way to work before getting on the freeway.

More info. Bike is currently getting close to 20k miles. Coolant level has stayed the same since I filled it. It went down a inch on first day, but it was overfilled. Dropped to max line and has stayed there since Monday.

·
Harley Hatin'
391 Posts
the high temp was an air bubble that indicated by the drop of an inch in the coolant level, the smell is you spilling automotive anti-freeze on the bike, it uses ethelyne glycol which leaves deposits when it dries on hot metal that take a while to burn off.

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I found it.

So today when I arrived at work I found a puddle where I usually park. I thought it was odd and was about to park in the exact same spot. Then I figured I should park somewhere else to see if my bike was the one that was leaking.

When I got out of work, I realized that there was now two puddles. One from last night, and one from today. I smelled it and it smelled like oil. So I looked at it was dripping off my oil bolt. I tried tightening it, but it was already snug. The bike oil was at the right level (little higher than halfway) when I checked it on Sunday, so I assumed it was fine. I also remembered thinking that it was odd, and wasn't sure if that was the normal position since I remember it being towards the top of the hash lines.

Stupidly, I started it and drove towards the gas station about 2 blocks away since I needed gas. 100 yards short of the gas station, my red oil light turns on and I hit the kill switch ASAP. Pushed my bike for the first time to a gas station. Up a slight incline too out of all places.

Pull the dipstick and it was danger low. Literally at the lowest hash mark.

So I trace the leak more carefully this time and find it is coming from higher up than the bolt. The oil filter... It was finger loose... So I took out my tool bag and snugged down the oil filter (k&n). My tool kit just so happened to have the right size.

I bought regular mobil car oil 10w30 and rode it 30 miles home in limp mode; Below 65mph and 6k rpms. shifting as little as possible.

Burning smell is gone and it stayed between 165-180.

I feel like a shitty bike owner now neglecting my bike so much. Although I find it odd since I changed my oil nearly 2 months ago. And filter decides to come loose in the past 2 days, in addition to having low coolant levels. I also have bad luck wearing white clothes as I nearly ruined my light tan chinos wrenching on the bike today.

Going to leave it parked until I can replace the oil with some mobil 1 motorcycle oil this weekend.

·
Harley Hatin'
391 Posts
I think I found it.

So today when I arrived at work I found a puddle where I usually park. I thought it was odd and was about to park in the exact same spot. Then I figured I should park somewhere else to see if my bike was the one that was leaking.

When I got out of work, I realized that there was now two puddles. One from last night, and one from today. I smelled it and it smelled like oil. So I looked at it was dripping off my oil bolt. I tried tightening it, but it was already snug. The bike oil was at the right level (little higher than halfway) when I checked it on Sunday, so I assumed it was fine. I also remembered thinking that it was odd, and wasn't sure if that was the normal position since I remember it being towards the top of the hash lines.

Stupidly, I started it and drove towards the gas station about 2 blocks away since I needed gas. 100 yards short of the gas station, my red oil light turns on and I hit the kill switch ASAP. Pushed my bike for the first time to a gas station. Up a slight incline too out of all places.

Pull the dipstick and it was danger low. Literally at the lowest hash mark.

So I trace the leak more carefully this time and find it is coming from higher up than the bolt. The oil filter... It was finger loose... So I took out my tool bag and snugged down the oil filter (k&n). My tool kit just so happened to have the right size.

I bought regular mobil car oil 10w30 and rode it 30 miles home in limp mode; Below 65mph and 6k rpms. shifting as little as possible.

Burning smell is gone and it stayed between 165-180.

I feel like a shitty bike owner now neglecting my bike so much. Although I find it odd since I changed my oil nearly 2 months ago. And filter decides to come loose in the past 2 days, in addition to having low coolant levels. I also have bad luck wearing white clothes as I nearly ruined my light tan chinos wrenching on the bike today.

Going to leave it parked until I can replace the oil with some mobil 1 motorcycle oil this weekend.
the important part is that you found the problem and learned a lesson, the daily driver bikes always have it hardest because of this, I had to learn recently that my air cooled machine naturally burns oil and relies on a high oil level to stay cool at stoplights. don't beat urself up about it, just be better in the future:rolleyes:

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Glad you noticed the warning light right away! I safety wire the filter and drain plug on all my bikes. Makes me feel better and it did prevent a potential disaster once.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts