Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im starting to get more and more comfortable riding the twistys but im not sure how much more i can push the pp's. theres maybe 1/8 of an inch of chicken strips on them. i feel like i can push it even further but how do i know when im pushing them too far over?

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
At the track, I can push them right up to the edge of the tire without any trouble. The Pilot Powers are capable of being leaned over to something like 51 degrees, and if you still have 1/8" of strip left, you're nowhere near that. I know it feels like you're about to drag elbow, but you're really not.

You've got room to play with.

·
wat?
722 Posts
You're not at the limit just because your rear chicken strip is gone; there is a lot of lean left after that point is reached. Take a look at your front tire and that will give you a better idea of how much you have left.

1/8" left in the rear means you're nowhere close.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
I have two track days on my current pair and can drag knee and produce good lap times with no problems.

·
rippin it
122 Posts
i have run two sets of pilots and have had no problems at all on my 05 r6 with full micron system.
there is a little michelin man on the side of the tire and i can wear him right off at the feet so nothing left of him, but i wouldent want to go much more.
sometimes i scrape depending on the specific corner and the bank of the road. i live in maine so police presence in some parts are scarce so i can pound some corners pretty hard. iam more worried about the cold weather traction up here.
you should be fine , i would check out the little Michelin man on the side :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea well i took it out last night and pushed it even further and there is no more strips i went all the way over the michelin man and the directional arrow and it felt just fine ... wasnt slipping or anything... is it safe to go any further?

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
You should start working on your form. More lean angle does not mean faster, hang off the bike and get it to stand up more. You will be going at the same speed, with rubber left over to go faster / harder.
Just make sure to stay even on the throttle and not load up the front too much. You will notice that while rear has no chicken strip, front still has some rubber left.

Honestly though... streets are not the place for dragging knees and hard parts. Get to the track, get some lessons, and stay safe.

·
rippin it
122 Posts
i dont go to far pass them, i only have helmet and dont always wear that so i dont want to push it, i have had slip before but i was punchen it too hard while at a nasty lean.
nex i think it was is right about the form thing.
the more you can keep the bike upright the faster you go , have to lean off the bike a bit though.
i live in maine where the roads are desolate and windy so i can get away with pounding like that, most people prob only get a chance at the track. safer that way i guess

how far you guys wear down your front piliots , to the cord???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im no pro at all this is but the basic understanding between the pp's and 2ct's is that the 2ct's have 2 different rubbers on the tire .. little harder down the center of the tire while the sides softer while the pp's have the same rubber compound on the whole tire...

so has anyone expirenced how slick the pp's once they cool down slightly?

i was out riding the twisties last night and after a 10 minute stop for gas and a drink my rear would not stick for maybe 10 minutes.. maybe bc it was 65 degrees out side? i dont know but this is not the first time its happend its every time after riding them aggresivley and letting them cool down

·
R6 Master
840 Posts
i was gonna ask what peoples impression of the CT2's are as im thiniking of picking up a set tomorrow. Ive always run race tires on my street bikes and like the feel just want alittle more life outta them. I used ot race and dont feel comfortable on regular street compounds anymore. Im usually a dunlop guy & have had great luck with the perelli super corsa race but ive never run michelins so im thinking about trying them.

·
wat?
722 Posts
I run Supercorsas normally and have a set of 2CT as rain/street tires. The turn-in is obviously noticeably slower. They heat up well. Predictable spin-up. Plenty of grip for the street.

·
Registered
645 Posts
i dont go to far pass them, i only have helmet and dont always wear that so i dont want to push it, i have had slip before but i was punchen it too hard while at a nasty lean.
nex i think it was is right about the form thing.
the more you can keep the bike upright the faster you go , have to lean off the bike a bit though.
i live in maine where the roads are desolate and windy so i can get away with pounding like that, most people prob only get a chance at the track. safer that way i guess

how far you guys wear down your front piliots , to the cord???
You're a ****in moron! You will find that out soon enough though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts