Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I have 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary r6. I am riding the bike for 6 years.MY first bike was Yamaha r6 2002 and then I bought Yamaha 2006 . I never fell from the bike until 2 weeks ago. Before I was riding on Dunlop then I switched to Conti Sport Attack which was probably best tire I ever had and 4 weeks ago I had to change my tires so I went with Pirelli Corsa lll because of their outstanding rating. Once I got them on I did 85 miles on them and slowly lean to get the wax off the tire as usually. I didn't get all the wax off the tire there was like 1 inch left on the sides. 2 weeks ago I was going back from the gym and it was 11:30 at night. It was pretty cold 50 F . I was riding 35-45 mph for good 10 minutes so I believe the tire was warmed up. By my house there is nice street with 2 curves .1 goes left and then immediate right I was taking a wide curve to the left and to the right. When I lean to the right I was leaning for maybe 2 seconds and suddenly the bike fell like I lost the grip. I was going into a curve with 45 mph and I fell while leaning . I dragged 60 feet on my shoulder with the bike. I was in shock It was my first time falling down and I couldn't even think about kicking the bike and get away from it. I had my sliders so It saved big$$$$$ nothing happened to the bike except few scratches on the right mirror and and right slider which is now 1/4 used then on the other side. I checked the next day in the morning if there was Oil or any spill on the road. There was nothing. Not even leaves nothing.

Was it my body position that caused the fall? ( When I lean I move forward and half of my ass is off the bike, My head is in front of mirror)

Was the tire not warmed up enough? It was kinda cold that night.

Is it because there was 1 inch wax on the sides left? (I never lean that much.)

Or is it because I lean to left and then immediately right and maybe I just went to far?

Thanks for reading and helping me to find solution for the error I have made. Any answer will be appreciated. Thank you for the help. Sorry for the mistake I have made if I did any.

·
#becausemotorcycles
669 Posts
You've been riding a 4 year old bike for 6 years... now thats impressive!

·
#becausemotorcycles
669 Posts
No but seriously... cold tires. Chances are you weren't even on the edge of the tire if you were on a city street. 11pm plus 50F weather = cold tires.

·
#becausemotorcycles
669 Posts
I was just giving you a hard time, I knew what you were trying to say ;)
:cheers

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
I say cold tires. new tires don't have that "wax" anymore.

I've been on the track on full lean with brand new tires with no "scrubbing" done prior.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did that curve many times and It was even 45 F but I had Conti sport Attack. Those tires warm up much much much quicker.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It is cold now, the usual downshifting I do started to upset the rear so I rode like a little girl on my way back.

The winter sun is deceptive, the tyres take ages to warm "ish" up.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
glad to hear you're ok and your bike wasn't damage.

overall like most have said, it was probably due to cold tires. plus i try never to push so hard on the streets since you never know what could be on the streets. one day it could be clean and the next it has shit all over it....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
true true. Thank God it was all empty. I just scratched my $ 400 Icon helmet and my leather Jacket scream more experience!!! :)but Im ok I was wearing full gear that day.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
1. there is no wax, silicone, or mold release on tires.
2. there is no break in time/miles for a new tire
3. a tire only needs heat to work

4. pirelli diablo corsa III isn't all that great in my opinion. I rode on a set and think they were the worst tires I've ever rode on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are Pirellis really that better that Conti Sport Attack? Pirellis dont act weird when You have to hit brakes whille taking a turn and the ride is very smooth. But I am afraid to trust them on the curves. Maybe next season when it will be 90 F they will show me what they've got .

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Are Pirellis really that better that Conti Sport Attack? Pirellis dont act weird when You have to hit brakes whille taking a turn and the ride is very smooth. But I am afraid to trust them on the curves. Maybe next season when it will be 90 F they will show me what they've got .
the conti's are probably better than the corsa III. even my buddy crashed 2 times with the corsa III. not even riding hard. one was on his way to work.
I personally won't even take them if they were free.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
What about Mishelin PP
they're not half bad. I just had to get one for the first time last weekend I was a few hours from home. I was hesitant because they are only the standard pilot power. and not the 2ct.
but I rode it 4 miles up the road and was putting the knee down after 4 or 5 corners at deals gap. got it warmed up and they never slipped once.
of course the gap you can put a knee down at 40mph. but at the end of the 11 miles they had balls of rubber just like they do at the track.
I was impressed. for a standard street tire they did very good.

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
Re: Pirelli Corsa lll lost controll when leaning

Ive heard about "wax on tires", but i have never had a problem with it. I have taken brand new tires out and gone straight to getting my knee down, so i dont think that was the problem.
It is possible that the tire wasnt warmed up yet, but not likely. 50 degrees isnt THAT cold.

My guess would be that you werent used to the PCIIIs aggressive profile. They are designed to turn in super quick, and im betting that as you snapped the bike over, you just went too far. When riding on a tire like that, it doesnt take as much force to lay the bike over.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Re: Pirelli Corsa lll lost controll when leaning

Hard to tell from your description. I've run brand spanking new tires at the track and never had any issues.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts