Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've never run slicks before, this Saturday will be my first day on Pirelli Diablo Superbike Pro Slicks. (120/70-17 front and 180/55-17 rear)

Any recommendations for hot pressures?

I'll be running warmers, so pressures while on warmers, and after pitting in, would be great!

I also have an infrared thermometer, if anyone has target temps as well.

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I'll report back after my TD.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Another thing to know about the Pro Slicks is that the end of their life comes when they start sliding, not when the tread depth holes disappear. After and handful of days they will look fine, but they will start sliding. This is the time to replace them.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Another thing to know about the Pro Slicks is that the end of their life comes when they start sliding, not when the tread depth holes disappear. After and handful of days they will look fine, but they will start sliding. This is the time to replace them.
yea. the stick will go away LONG before the wear markers.

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any idea how many days I'll get out of them?

Do they go off as a function of heat cycles, or time since first used?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Any idea how many days I'll get out of them?

Do they go off as a function of heat cycles, or time since first used?

Depends on your pace.

Some slower dudes get like 10 days and they wear like iron. Fast guys they don't last very long at all. Before I quit runnin em I was lucky to get three days on a rear

:YEA

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to be "middle to fast" intermediate pace, but I haven't ridden a bike (much less the R6) in two years.
I signed up for beginner, hopefully I can get the feeling back and bump to intermediate in the afternoon.

Is it realistic that I could get like 5-6 days over two years out of these things?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I used to be "middle to fast" intermediate pace, but I haven't ridden a bike (much less the R6) in two years.
I signed up for beginner, hopefully I can get the feeling back and bump to intermediate in the afternoon.

Is it realistic that I could get like 5-6 days over two years out of these things?

Probably man. I've seen your pics tho. And you're probably being humble with your skill level. With that in mind, these do not grip like a DOT. They lose drive when they spin too. The rear straight up lights up when they give, the shock unloads too. If you have spin/fine waves across the whole tire then I would suggest something better like a DOT sc compound. And if you have the spin wear across the whole tire you will not get 5-6 days. And I'm not a fan of old tires either. I wouldn't run a 2 year old TD slick unless it was on a brand new track surface like we have at a couple places up here. Anything grips on new pavement. LOL

:YEA

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,059 Posts
I ran these in 2012 to race on and would run 28f/26r on the R6.

I run Pirelli DOT's on the 250 and set those at 30f/26r

Fun tire with a decent amount of grip for being as hard as they are.

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ran these in 2012 to race on and would run 28f/26r on the R6.

I run Pirelli DOT's on the 250 and set those at 30f/26r

Fun tire with a decent amount of grip for being as hard as they are.
28 front?
That's 3-4 psi lower then everyone else that's posted so far.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,059 Posts
28 front?
That's 3-4 psi lower then everyone else that's posted so far.
I like my front to be able to deform under breaking for the wider contact patch so I can keep that patch as I trail brake.

Had no problems with overheating the front, in fact wildbill bought and used one of my sets of sbk pro take offs.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Hot pressures are right in the ballpark at 31-34 (depending on preference and ambient/track temp too. Rear - 26-28 dependent on temps as well. Also, try to keep a log of temps coming right off the track. If you have someone that can help you when you come in to take pressure readings before they start to cool too much you can be more accurate with the data.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts