Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1up,5down
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if there was a limit of heat cycles for a slick before they are no good? I run mid pack in the advanced group with n2 and NJMP riders club. My front pirelli sc1 just seems to last forever! I have talked to coaches about why my front lasts so long and after talking with them and answering their specific questions they have told me i'm too nice to the front tire hahaha. I do all of my braking before turn in and occasional trail brake in certain corners on certain tracks but this leads me to turn on an unloaded front tire. But anyway my front tire has about 10 days on it or 10 heat cycles as I keep them on the warmers all day. I know the tire gets harder and harder as the number of heat cycles goes up. But is there a limit to where the tire is just too hard or has no grip? Thanks for any info on the subject!

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Not a racer but from personal experiences I can tell you that how you brake, makes THE difference for front tire wear. To even out wear, for some years I was doing more of my braking with the rear. The rear not being designed for it, was going through pads like a woman on menstrual but they were cheap and easy to replace so I didn't mind. What made me quit doing that was two-fold... actual damage occurring to the caliper slide-mount and an apparent negative impact on my riding skill.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I don't know the answer to the "heat cycle" question but my rear tire seemed to improve with them...

Conventional wisdom of course says that tires harden with age. They especially seem to harden if they're not used and/or improperly stored.

·
1up,5down
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a racer but from personal experiences I can tell you that how you brake, makes THE difference for front tire wear. To even out wear, for some years I was doing more of my braking with the rear. The rear not being designed for it, was going through pads like a woman on menstrual but they were cheap and easy to replace so I didn't mind. What made me quit doing that was two-fold... actual damage occurring to the caliper slide-mount and an apparent negative impact on my riding skill.
I don't even use the rear brake lol. All front

1 - 4 of 4 Posts