Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Any damage done? Is the dust cover on in front of the sproket? It's hard to find trust worthy shops unfortunately and that is why I started working on my own cars and motorcycles years ago. Especially with motorcycles, if something with the chain drive or suspension fails it has major consequences.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No damage to the cover or out put shaft. I have a spare nut and locking washer. He used NO lock tight or anything. Il just wash my hands of the place and move on ya know. I thank god I was only doing 45 and the chain didn't bind up and hurt. Or even kill me.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,506 Posts
the stealership strikes again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Potential lawsuit? This mistake cannot go unpunished.

Luckily nothing happened. No lawsuit needed. Bring it to their attention and give them am opportunity to make it right or don't go back and spread the word.

Pretty scary though! Glad nothing catastrophic happened. This is why I prefer to do my own work on all my things, or someone I know and trust.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luckily nothing happened. No lawsuit needed. Bring it to their attention and give them am opportunity to make it right or don't go back and spread the word.

Pretty scary though! Glad nothing catastrophic happened. This is why I prefer to do my own work on all my things, or someone I know and trust.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

The only thing I really needed them for was to do the chain. I don't know how to do the master link. Just said fu ck it. While they was in it just do it all. It's a simple mistake and no need to go in hot headed.

I'm gonna call and explain what happen and have them pick up the bike. Or hell they can fix it at my house. Or I'll do it and they supply parts.

Either way I'm just happy the chain didn't bind up and me get hurt. Or other bike and cars around me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
**update**
Took the bike back. The guy is gonna install a new nut and washer (again). He recommended just a tack weld on the nut to hold it on. Now when it was all taken apart the stock sprocket was welded on with a few tacks. So idk wtf to do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
**update**
Took the bike back. The guy is gonna install a new nut and washer (again). He recommended just a tack weld on the nut to hold it on. Now when it was all taken apart the stock sprocket was welded on with a few tacks. So idk wtf to do.
What shop are you taking it to? He wants to tack weld the nut to the sproket? To my knowledge the stock sproket nut has loctite on it, it's not welded. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,243 Posts
There shouldn't be any loctite on there either. It is either a tabbed washer with tabs that get bent over to the flat sides of the nut, or a nut that gets peened at the end (the countershaft will have reliefs where the peen goes). A quick look at the manual shows that it is a tabbed washer.

Your mechanic sounds like a ****ing dumbass. I wouldn't be surprised if your nut and washer are sitting somewhere on his workbench.

·
Because I Can
2,306 Posts
There shouldn't be any loctite on there either. It is either a tabbed washer with tabs that get bent over to the flat sides of the nut, or a nut that gets peened at the end (the countershaft will have reliefs where the peen goes). A quick look at the manual shows that it is a tabbed washer.

Your mechanic sounds like a ****ing dumbass. I wouldn't be surprised if your nut and washer are sitting somewhere on his workbench.
^^^This! All you do is put a dent in the metal to prevent the nut from spinning. Welding...facepalm that guy shouldn't be anywhere near bikes and tools. Here is an example picture of what RC51 was referring to:

OR

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.