Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard about piston rings worn at 22k miles for excessive oil burning? every 1000miles it burns about 1/4-1/2 q oil.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Anyone heard about piston rings worn at 22k miles for excessive oil burning? every 1000miles it burns about 1/4-1/2 q oil.
You can do a compression or leakdown test to see if yor rings are worn out.

·
Old Fart
81 Posts
IIRC, most manufacturers will say that that level of oil leaking or burning (loss) is completely normal and well within acceptable levels.

Read into that what you like.

I'd do a compression test if you think your rings are worn.

You have to really rag a modern engine and abuse it pretty bad to wear out rings in less than 100K miles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I am in process of doing the compression test and will find out in a week or so.

I'll keep u guys updated.

·
CCS #164
404 Posts
do a normal compression test with a warm engine and write your findings down. next, add a ~tbsp of oil down each cylinder and repeat the test. record your findings again. if your PSI jumped significantly, your rings are bad.

I just did this test on my bike before I tore the engine out. I didnt have access to a leak-down tester so this was the method i used. mine jumped about 80-90psi so changing rings is one of many things ill be doing this winter

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
doesnt seem like alot. What do the plugs look like? What about the exhaust tip? Any smoke on accel / decel?
ok, after a mech test, it shows 8% blow by and it is constant for all the cyclinders.
the plugs looked ok,( i change them every year)
exhasut tip is normal, no excess smoke on the tip of pipe.
during accel/decl everything is clean. well no dark smoke.

so what u guys think?

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts
what was the actual compression? If you aren't seeing any blue smoke you should be fine. I can't remember what mine was if it was 165 or 185, but I remember two cylinders were around 120 after heating up because of a bad headgasket. Like I said I can't remember if it was 165 or 185 but all were at that level cold. Then warmed the motor up and cylinders 3 and 4 dropped to about 120ish. Then did a wet compression test and the compression raised. I had some white film and bubbles in the radiator, so headgasket it was.

Besides how the hell do you do a blowby test for each individual cylinder? To the best of my knowledge a blowby tests measures the crankcase pressure and can't determine the blow by for each cylinder, since they are all rotating and could be contributing to blowby and accumilation of crankcase pressure. I was always under the impression that blowby just showed collectively how much blowby you are getting for a given RPM range. Compression and leakdown test IMHO would be more informative as to how each cylinder is performing in comparison to others. Also whatever your experiencing could be due to valves needing adjustment, valve seats worn, or even throttle bodies coming completely out of synch.

·
i want 2 ride......NOW!
361 Posts
did u lay this bike down at one point in time??

cuz if their inst any smoke your not burning your oil..... look the bike over and see if there is a leek, if you did some motor work or something you might have forgot to tight something down all the way, or if you went down and ground down a cover you might have a small crack

BUT KEEP AN EYE ON THAT OIL, you will spin a rod bearing and then screw up your crank, trust me its not fun i did it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts