Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have some rider rewards at kneedraggers, $50.00 to be exact. Well i am in the market for a damper. I can get either the Scotts or the Pitbull for around 375 with my rewards. Which would you guys say is better.

And FYI i did search couldnt find much about pitbull, i know alot of people use scotts, but i just want people opinions

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Yea, I've never really trusted Pit Bull for dampers, it's just not what they are known for..

I vote scotts

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok ok scotts, im seeing if kneedraggers will price match for a hyperpro so i can use my rewards. but if not scotts it is

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just bought and installed a used scotts damper from a member.

Love it, 100% difference in the bikes handling.
Do you have any pictures of the install, and how much did you have to drill

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
for the 2003 r6, scotts damper no drilling necessary. here she is mounted,

took me a whopping 30 min, and 20 of it was standing in line at auto zone to rent the 36mm socket cause they wanted 20$ for the damn thing!
if you do it yourself please use a torque wrench to get the nut on, dont just eyeball it.
o and loc tite EVERYTHING!

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks nice.....like the no drilling, decisions decisions

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if im not mistaken i belive the only damper you have to drill is the gpr.... but id say scotts in your case.
ive never heard of having to drill the gpr.....but i can get the scotts for 381 or the hyperpro for 353....im stuck between a rock and a hard place....

......or pitbull is out

·
say cheese
272 Posts
I went with the hyper pro RSC and it is sharp. From all the research that I did before my purchase there's really no difference between the different top manufactures. From other post on here I learned that if you need a whole bunch of clicks or all the gadgets like high and low speed valving then that's over complicating things. Most of it is hype but I'm sure many will argue that point. A good damper like the Ohlins has none of these features as I can remember and its considered by many as the finest damper unit on the market. When it comes down to it the scotts unit is very good/reliable but it pretty bulky on top of the triple clamp where some need that room. The other long skinny units mount more out of the way and are less obtrusive but require that they be removed if your going to lift the tank. Some may say that in a crash the sliding unit may be easier to damage but mine would not be effected unless something fell out of the sky directly on to the bike but then that would get the other unit as well. It really comes down to personal preference but I went with mine because it functions well, was a good price, offered the RSC function even though I'd never know it or feel it, and its offered with different color options. I was told by a few different vendors that they stopped carrying the GPR units because they are still just having to many warranty repairs and returns with them. Who wants to speed a bunch of money on one of these babies and then have to return it or even return it again. I really liked the GPR-4 design and color options but I had to say no after hearing the things that I did. Also the Scotts damper for the 06 model requires drilling which I did not want to do. On a side note the Pitbull dampers are good units but they require drilling into the frame where most people use them on track only bikes.

There are so many threads that discuss damper units its mind boggling. Here is one that I think that I found helpful plus there are others that suggest the differences between a rotary unit and the piston type units.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34346

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16567

1 - 14 of 14 Posts