Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally installed my targa FE saturday on my 07s. installation was a breeze and it came out lookin great. i have a wiring question though. i decided not to install the license plate led because i didn't want to drill the rear cowl to mount it. well, in my haste i just snipped the wires that went to the license plate light and shoved um back into the tailsection but forgot to tape the ends of the wires :dunce: does the plate light have its own plug at the other end? i dont want to take the tailsection apart if theres no chance i'll fry any part of the wiring harness besides the plate plug if the wires short or something? am i ok? thanks all

·
Registered
250 Posts
You should be ok I would think. Unless you left the ends of the wires completely exposed, because then they'll definitely short out. Taking the tail section off isn't too hard, and it's worth it to tape them off and prevent shorting out. And good luck finding the plug for the wires unless you have the manual for it (which I don't).

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
finally installed my targa FE saturday on my 07s. installation was a breeze and it came out lookin great. i have a wiring question though. i decided not to install the license plate led because i didn't want to drill the rear cowl to mount it. well, in my haste i just snipped the wires that went to the license plate light and shoved um back into the tailsection but forgot to tape the ends of the wires :dunce: does the plate light have its own plug at the other end? i dont want to take the tailsection apart if theres no chance i'll fry any part of the wiring harness besides the plate plug if the wires short or something? am i ok? thanks all
You need to get those wires out and wrap them up, they are tied in with your lighting and turn signal systems. You blow that one and ALL of it goes down. Get those out now and cover em up...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
didnt leave em exposed. i just sniped em. im sure each wire is flush with the insulation :confused:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You need to get those wires out and wrap them up, they are tied in with your lighting and turn signal systems. You blow that one and ALL of it goes down. Get those out now and cover em up...
son of a :mad: if they short will it just blow a fuse or will it cook my wiring harness? :confused:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
need to ride the bike the rest of the week to work so i wont be able to tape up the wires until this weekend. good to know theres an inline fuse so my harness wont get toasted should the wires short. what fuse will blow (what all does it control)? and can you get to the plate light wires through the storage (passenger seat) area? thanks

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
son of a :mad: if they short will it just blow a fuse or will it cook my wiring harness? :confused:
um, the fuse is there to hopefully protect your wires. But there is always the potential but very small chance that the fuse will not short out and open the circuit and will short out your wires and potentially cause a fire, for safety's sake man, just get in there and do the job correctly, dont need ya gettin hurt ok?:)

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
need to ride the bike the rest of the week to work so i wont be able to tape up the wires until this weekend. good to know theres an inline fuse so my harness wont get toasted should the wires short. what fuse will blow (what all does it control)? and can you get to the plate light wires through the storage (passenger seat) area? thanks

Just pop off your pass seat throw some tape over the wires

two seconds...done

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Since you pushed it up in the hole it prob just slid forward a little...it didn't go far .....you should be able to find it quickly

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
cant seem to find my plate light wire. can sombody post a photo of the storage space under the passenger seat on an 03-05 or an 's' model that pictures the liscence plate light wire. thanks :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts