Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
i follow the speed limit
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so...
bought the bike a while ago but somehow never checked the PS.
ive been playing with suspension settings to compensate for lifting the bike back up to stock height from previous owner (removed lowering links, raised the front forks sticking trough the tripples, and adjusted the front suspension and all, still working on back, and put a new stock height kickstand).
after all that i took it for a spin and not much difference, i mean it was different but not much, then i checked the psi. front has 25 and back has 12!!!! wow.

what psi do you guys run with? i was looking at the instructions to tailoring the suspension from the magazines posted here, and they suggest 40 back and 36 front.... is this correct, or too much?

pumped them up to that, and wow, night and day, and i mean night and day (dont believe me? deflate your tires and give it a spin hahaah), and my buddy was like i liked how ur bike rode, what do u mean night and day, he took it out for a spin, came back with the iggest smile on his face lol, hes like i tought u were overexegerating lol

moral of the story, check the PSI please.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Good Public Service Announcement! Yeah, check your pressure regularly. I've seen some nasty falls due to low PSI. One person that took a 50mph header had 8 psi on their front after winter storage.

-D

·
i follow the speed limit
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah definitely, i still cant figure out that i never checked it.
bike handles like a dream now :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
lol yeah it makes a big difference. i check mine every week or so

·
Do Work!
999 Posts
Its a good idea to check it once in a while but a MUST after it being stored or not riden for a while. Thanks for heads up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
With 12 PSI on your tire you should get woobles,also you should try a pressure according to your riding style.If you push your tires a LOT and allways ride on high speeds a bit lower pressure is better,that's why on track everyone deflates their tires about 5-10 PSI than street riding.You could also try to inflate your tires with nitrogen,even after long term storage it retains the same pressure (maybe 1 PSI lower).

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
my tires have 24psi rear...and 30 psi front.....

·
Daily Bike Commuter
104 Posts
PDC3's with 35 and 35. When I first got it, the PSI's were super low too. Also, u all should check ur cars too. Optimum PSI promotes even tire wear and better mileage overall.

·
Registered
541 Posts
was running about 28 ish on both and stepped them up to 31 ish. little bit better handling, but I can't notice to much of a dif. I just ride and drag knee anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
I run around 35 or 36 front and back....

·
i follow the speed limit
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah like i said i still cant believe i didnt check it, but ive had a bike for few weeks so its ok...well not ok, but better now than never hehe.
as for my car, i autoX the sht outta that thing, so i keep my eye out on that little thing all the time.

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
i run 35 front 36 rear, anything higher in the front and it tends to slide out and cause me to almost lowside fequently through out the day

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
I check mine once a month. Running 36 Front and 38 Rear.

Also before getting on the bike I do an visual check on the tires and push on them by hand to see if I can feel if they low. Prolly not a good test pushing on them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts