Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm prepared to get a lot of grief for this, but it's something I honestly don't know.

Can you shift gears without using the clutch? I'm guessing it's either "no", or "yes, but it'll screw up your transmission, so no."

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
yes, you wont do any damage unless you constantly do it for years. I do it when i am riding on the track, i use my clutch in town.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
In short, yes you can.
However...
Best not to try to downshift without the clutch, it's just unhealthy, definitely for the bike, and quite possibly for you.
Clutchless upshifts are fine though, no damage and relatively simple but if you're a new rider I'd say save it for the track.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
you can also shift with your clutch and not worry about anything :hehe

·
Registered
81 Posts
yes you can, want to test it out? sit on the bike in neutral and shift to 1st gear, let me know what happens.

·
In Search Of...
91 Posts
I clutchless upshift a lot... but its best to do when you're 2nd gear and above, its kinda choppy going from 1st to 2nd... But if done right, its pretty smooth...

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
I clutchless upshift a lot... but its best to do when you're 2nd gear and above, its kinda choppy going from 1st to 2nd... But if done right, its pretty smooth...
i've done that before only to hit neutral:rant damn it's so embarrassing...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it wasn't something I planned on doing on a regular basis...more just a question that I couldn't find an answer to. I'm perfectly happy with using a clutch.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I say do it after 2nd gear only. 1st to 2nd is a stretch and will likely tear some shit up if not executed properly. But from 2nd gear and up just put pressure on the shifter upwards and left of the gas ever so quickly and it should fall right in.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Just rough on the gear box in the long run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts