Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just purchased the bike two days ago. Driven it 80 miles. It’s a 2009. No issues driving it. I just bought new turn signals for it. Today I removed fairing and wanted to check the radiator fluid. Opened it up and looked oily. I decided to pull lower water pump bolt. Coolant is orangish black. Bike only has 500 miles on it now. Excellent condition over all, I was told it was a show room bike. I’m attaching a picture of the coolant in a clear glass. The bike did not overheat, and the bike did not show white smoke. No obvious signs… any information is greatly appreciated feeling pretty terrible right now. I paid 6800 for this bike…
Tableware Drinkware Food Wine Automotive tire

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
Moisture builds up in an engine that isn't ran to operating temp many times a week.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The left is what came out of the oil. The right came out of the radiator/water pump. I’m praying it’s just super super old fluid. I cannot even imagine what a blown head gasket will cost. Mordantely, you think it’s just moisture build up?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
Change the oil and go ride it for an hour. Any froth or chocolate milk on the fill cap means headgasket.

Reactions: 1202067

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
No idea. Probably 3 hours labor.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Bro, flush the radiator with some distilled water and vinegar, flush it with some distilled water, then put some coolant in it. Somebody probably has a good write up on a vinegar and water flush some place, but basically, drain old coolant, pour in 50/50 mix distilled water and white vinegar. Bring the bike up to operating temp, let it sit, verify radiator level, top off, bring up to operating temp. Let it sit. Verify radiator level. Top off. Bring to operating temperature. Let it sit. Verify radiator level. You can let the mix stand over night. Drain mix. Repeat steps above with distilled water. Fill with coolant of your choice. Keep an eye on it.

I'm betting it's garage rot from the rubber and that you'll have a lot of rubber particulates in the distilled water when you flush. If that's the case, you may want to order a hose kit. Before you do that, you may want to do a compression or leakdown test to verify the health of the motor and figure out the best way to go.

Expect to pay $1,200 for a head gasket from a reputable shop, ask for a valve adjustment and a throttle body sync while they are in there, and plugs of course. Might put another 100 or 200 on top of the gasket, but, money well spent and the tech will appreciate working on a bike for someone that cares.

Just my .02

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bro, flush the radiator with some distilled water and vinegar, flush it with some distilled water, then put some coolant in it. Somebody probably has a good write up on a vinegar and water flush some place, but basically, drain old coolant, pour in 50/50 mix distilled water and white vinegar. Bring the bike up to operating temp, let it sit, verify radiator level, top off, bring up to operating temp. Let it sit. Verify radiator level. Top off. Bring to operating temperature. Let it sit. Verify radiator level. You can let the mix stand over night. Drain mix. Repeat steps above with distilled water. Fill with coolant of your choice. Keep an eye on it.

I'm betting it's garage rot from the rubber and that you'll have a lot of rubber particulates in the distilled water when you flush. If that's the case, you may want to order a hose kit. Before you do that, you may want to do a compression or leakdown test to verify the health of the motor and figure out the best way to go.

Expect to pay $1,200 for a head gasket from a reputable shop, ask for a valve adjustment and a throttle body sync while they are in there, and plugs of course. Might put another 100 or 200 on top of the gasket, but, money well spent and the tech will appreciate working on a bike for someone that cares.

Just my .02

Good luck.
Awesome man. Yup already purchased new oil, filter, coolant and 3 gallons of distilled water. First thing tomorrow morning I’m gonna flush the system and hopefully it’s just from it sitting. If it’s not I’ll bring it to a shop and ask them to do just that. Appreciate it guys. I’ll post tomorrow with my findings. Also I’m in Houston if anybodys in the area and wants to ride! Brandon

·
Registered
158 Posts
Awesome man. Yup already purchased new oil, filter, coolant and 3 gallons of distilled water. First thing tomorrow morning I’m gonna flush the system and hopefully it’s just from it sitting. If it’s not I’ll bring it to a shop and ask them to do just that. Appreciate it guys. I’ll post tomorrow with my findings. Also I’m in Houston if anybodys in the area and wants to ride! Brandon
I'm actually in texas as well. I could show you how to do the top end if you'd like. Ain't nothin' in the world free, but I wouldn't rake you over the coals.

If you're hiring the work out, you might want to talk to Kenny at Houston Motorcycle Exchange. Those guys are great. They know their machines and the won't murder you on the price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm actually in texas as well. I could show you how to do the top end if you'd like. Ain't nothin' in the world free, but I wouldn't rake you over the coals.

If you're hiring the work out, you might want to talk to Kenny at Houston Motorcycle Exchange. Those guys are great. They know their machines and the won't murder you on the price.
If it comes to that I’ll take you up on that. I like wrenching on my own vehicles. Would be cool to learn how to do it. What city are you in?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm up in central Texas bud. I'm in the post partum unit at Harris Methodist in ft worth with my wife (we just had a baby), but I've got family Channelview and I worked as a thread rep out at tejas tubular off of beltway 8. I've bought a Suzuki bandit 1200 and a Yamaha r1 through kenny over at the exchange and all those guys are great over there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congratulations man! Well update. I flushed the coolant 5 times with water/vinegar then just plain distilled water. It’s topped off with coolant and fresh oil now. The bike appears to be fine. Only ride it 5 miles and coolant is still full and oil looks normal. I will continue to ride it this week and let you know what happens.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
In all the time I've been here, can't recall reading of a verified blown head gasket.

Check the oil cooler on the front of the engine for damage or other.

No where near like that, but have had coolant get a little dark with large specs in the reservoir; it was just paint wearing off from where the hoses mount onto the radiator. The stock silicon hoses are fine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm just going to throw this out there, the rubber on the op's bike is over a decade old. I'm no scientist or anything, but I'm going to guess it's at the end of it's service life. I've flushed quite a few bikes only to find particulates from the radiator hoses floating in the radiator after the flush.

Individual results may vary, I can only speak to my own experiences.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I believe modern formed hoses have a high silicon content; it's not like the old 80s vehicles where they'd swell/bubble/blow/crack/leak and you had to replace them every so many years. They should last the life of the vehicle. Had well over 320k and nearly 20 years on a previous car with OEM formed hoses. (vehicle replaced due to rust)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, rode for 50 miles today about an hour. Lots of red lights. Highest bike temp was 221 at a stop light. 170 on highway. 200 in city. Oil still looks fresh and my coolant is still completely clean. I think I lucked out. No big issue as far as I can tell.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
The cap would look like chocolate milk if the block is cracked or head gasket or the oil cooler.

Reactions: 1202067
1 - 20 of 34 Posts