Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I believe modern formed hoses have a high silicon content; it's not like the old 80s vehicles where they'd swell/bubble/blow/crack/leak and you had to replace them every so many years. They should last the life of the vehicle. Had well over 320k and nearly 20 years on a previous car with OEM formed hoses. (vehicle replaced due to rust)
Yamaha says 7 years in the manual. The bikes I work on generally need new hoses. Individual results vary. I understand what you are saying, but, my experience has been different from yours. I'll also say that dodge goes pretty cheap on rubber. I've replaced plenty of hoses on '08 ram 3500 diesels and jeeps.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
The tstat gasket is definitely rubber.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Yamaha says 7 years in the manual. The bikes I work on generally need new hoses. Individual results vary. I understand what you are saying, but, my experience has been different from yours. I'll also say that dodge goes pretty cheap on rubber. I've replaced plenty of hoses on '08 ram 3500 diesels and jeeps.
My manual is different by the way...
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

Ultimately though, lawyers wrote the manual with liability in mind. Just one example, we're supposed to check/replace if necessary, the kickstand switch every 600 miles or 1 month.

Heat is a definite factor for wear... much less life on an engine operated in Jakarta, Indonesia versus Pontiac, Michigan.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello, I just purchased the bike two days ago. Driven it 80 miles. It’s a 2009. No issues driving it. I just bought new turn signals for it. Today I removed fairing and wanted to check the radiator fluid. Opened it up and looked oily. I decided to pull lower water pump bolt. Coolant is orangish black. Bike only has 500 miles on it now. Excellent condition over all, I was told it was a show room bike. I’m attaching a picture of the coolant in a clear glass. The bike did not overheat, and the bike did not show white smoke. No obvious signs… any information is greatly appreciated feeling pretty terrible right now. I paid 6800 for this bike… View attachment 378045
sorry just saw post. thats not oil in water! your water pump BLADE/ IMPELLER SHAFT is wearing out. its throwing off the black residue thats on it. i had the same issue .. rebuild your water pump. if its not leaking you can get away with just replacing the IMPELLER SHAFT!!! i had same color in system changed the impeller shaft fixed it

·
Registered
16 R6 04 R1 16 R3 07 vmax &11 fat boy
5 Posts
I think your fine, there is no telling what could have been put in there while sitting since 09. Some antifreeze isn’t compatible so could be where someone added a non compatible coolant without properly flushing. Definitely keep a eye on your temps. I’d also flush this again more than once over the next few months. If the bike really only had 500 miles on it I just can’t see anything being wrong internally. I picked up a 04 R1 a few years back 715 miles on it and flushed the system to add engine ice. I used vinegar/water as recommended and still didn’t manage to get all of the green stuff out evidently because the next year that engine ice looked pretty crappy so I flushed it again multiple times to get it looking perfect again. So if a situation like this happened with yours then sat several years I can see it looking terrible. Never would have guessed it would look that bad though. Wow. Keep a good eye on it and flush it, keep it looking like new coolant, im still flushing mine a couple times a year. Just part of me being super OCD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah thanks everybody for the replies. I’ve only put 250 miles on it. Currently sitting just shy of 700 miles. Coolant is still fresh looking and oil looks brand new. I’m going to change the oil and the coolant again at 1000. Break in will be complete then. I’ll report back in a few weeks and let you know but I agree with above. I think I got lucky and it’s just super old fluid.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah thanks everybody for the replies. I’ve only put 250 miles on it. Currently sitting just shy of 700 miles. Coolant is still fresh looking and oil looks brand new. I’m going to change the oil and the coolant again at 1000. Break in will be complete then. I’ll report back in a few weeks and let you know but I agree with above. I think I got lucky and it’s just super old fluid.
That fluid was cooked, not just old. I've had coolant look like that in a few months.

I'm glad the hoses aren't coming apart bud.

Enjoy the machine. Give her hell.

Remember, you bought the whole tachometer, use the whole tachometer.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Gauge Measuring instrument Font Motor vehicle Auto part

Redline for my bike, appears to be 15.5k.

But let's calculate for "just", 10k.

With each crankshaft rotation, each piston moves up AND down. Not just up or just down, but BOTH, per crankshaft rotation.

At 10k or 167 rotations per second, that means that each piston takes just 0.006 of a second, to move up AND down. That's up AND down. At 15.5k it'll be an even less imaginable 258.3 rotations or up-down in just 0.0038709677419355 of a second.

It's engineered to handle it but unnecessary RPMs just increase wear and shorten maintenance intervals. (I like seat time.) Remember, race engines are frequently rebuilt for a couple of reasons. What most people are after is just the torque. But at >70k miles having operated under a wide range of conditions, I can tell you these engines are amazingly stout.

·
Registered
158 Posts
View attachment 378059

Redline for my bike, appears to be 15.5k.

But let's calculate for "just", 10k.

With each crankshaft rotation, each piston moves up AND down. Not just up or just down, but BOTH, per crankshaft rotation.

At 10k or 167 rotations per second, that means that each piston takes just 0.006 of a second, to move up AND down. That's up AND down. At 15.5k it'll be an even less imaginable 258.3 rotations or up-down in just 0.0038709677419355 of a second.

It's engineered to handle it but unnecessary RPMs just increase wear and shorten maintenance intervals. (I like seat time.) Remember, race engines are frequently rebuilt for a couple of reasons. What most people are after is just the torque. But at >70k miles having operated under a wide range of conditions, I can tell you these engines are amazingly stout.
Live a little, life only happens for each of us one time.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
Above 15k, it just makes noise. Plus that is 158mph indicated. Never dared to try 16k or higher even under factory warranty.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,477 Posts
My engine also.. nothing wrong with purchasing brand new and taking care of it.

Reactions: 1202067
21 - 34 of 34 Posts