Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. Yesterday some guy rear ended me with my wife on the back. We're both ok and the bike didn't take much damage. I didn't start my 03 R6 up till today and its running really bad at idle. When i start it, it holds at like 1700 rpms and sounds great. But after your either rev the bike up or let it warm up it drops to around 500 and keeps bouncing from 500 to zero and eventually stalls out.

Yesterday when i was rear ened the bike was dropped on its side for about 30 minutes while i was making sure my wife was ok. At first i thought it might be because some oil or fuel got into somewhere from being on its side. But i think i ruled that out because no smoke comes out of the exhaust. I removed the seat to make sure all the connectors for the ecu we're connected good and then i removed the tank, and air box to make sure everything was connected good in there. Everything was. Then i desided to run the bike with that tank to the side and the air box sort of hooked up. I noticed the idle air control valve is making a loud taping noise every once in a while and you can actually feel it engage and dis engage when it makes that noise.

So all that being said i'm wondering if its the idle air control valve OR is there another problem thats just causing the idle air control vavle to function like this. Also it only happens to run like crap at idle and runs fine when given some throttle. By the way i just replaced the ignition coils and spark plugs, both are genuin yama parts)

Could you guys (or gals) throw some idea's out there so i can toubleshoot this problem further?

·
This is not my ass
1,355 Posts
Your bike goes to a higher RPM to help speed up the warm up temperature then automatically goes down to idle rpms 1000-500. Why it stales, I don't know? Do have any other after market(engine) electronics hooked up?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No i don't have any after market electical mods. This is my first bike and when i got it it always idle at right above 1500, but after i replaced the ignition coils i guess i may have adjusted that nobb.

what vavle controls the bikes idle?

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm...-R6/GroupID/241395/Group/AIR_INDUCTION_SYSTEM

if you look at item # 1 on this microphish this is whats making a loud noise when the bikes idle is erratic.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone?...help

·
SHIFT!!
100 Posts
Use the idle knob to adjust the rpm. It should idle at 1250 to 1350 (factory spec) when fully warmed up (i.e. fan turns on).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okey dokey buddy. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade and i have a decent set of trouble shooting skills so adjusting the idle was the first thing i tried. It will not idle at 1500..... it will run strong past then. So unless i want to idle at 4k i'm still screwed.... any other ideas?

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
kind of odd that it fell over and now you have such a problem.
I cant think of anything that would cause it. and I've crashed mine several times.

the parts fich you pictured, that is the air injection system that basically takes some air from the airbox and it goes into the exhaust port in the cylinder head, through the valve cover.
it's just a smog/emissions thing. it can be removed and capped off completely if you desire.
they make block off plates for the valve cover.
http://www.gravesport.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=AB__011
it may be causing a vacuum leak. maybe thats your problem. youre going to have to start taking it apart to find out.

there is no IAC valve on the R6.
I'll pm you a service manual. it tells you how to run through all the diagnostics with the speedo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i took the gas tank off again, the air box, and took the air induction system completly apart. I cleaned everything that i could take off in my solvent tank, dryed it off and put it back together. This time immediatly after i started it up i saw BLACK smoke come out...WTF:confused:

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
you'll see bikes, brand new off the show floor puff smoke. I seen a Ducati desmocedici(a $70k+ bike) puff out smoke when it was started. especially ones that laid on it's side for a few min.

if it keeps smoking, then worry:(

are the throttle bodies tight and down all the way?
I seriously can't fathom what could have happened just from laying on it's side that is causing your problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really can't imagine either that laying the bike down would do this. The bike was strong before i did this. If a valve was stuck or my valves need adjusting would it do this? Now every single time i give it throttle it either blows black smoke or shoots flames. Why the hell would it be running rich? Also after i read your responce that there are caps for that emitions crap i rigged something up to eliminate that valve and cap off those lines. I started the bike up and its still running like crap and now with that valve out it seems like the revs are hanging. So that obviously not the problem so tommorrow i'll reinstall that. And as far as i can tell the throttle bodies are tight, and the air box is tight to the throttle bodies.

I think the bike is running super rich...why would it be?
And even if it is running rich, wouldn't that just effect the bike when its cold. This does this even running at 196 degree's.

Also the wierd thing is yesterday i let it run for a good long time and then the problem went away. I rode it around my neighborhood and it ran great. I shut if off and came back an hour later and it still ran great. But all day today its run like crap. Erratic idle and stalling out.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
if he hit you, why don't you take it to a dealer and make him pay?

As for running super rich.... you might have knocked a coil wire loose and aren't firing all the cylinders

·
Registered
30 Posts
okay quick question did you replace the coils and spark plugs before or after the accident if before take the plugs out and clean them with some brake cleaner they could be fouled.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow awsome idea. I never thought about that. I changed them before the accident. After i get out of work tommorrow i'll remove them and clean them.

BTW... This is what i love about Forums. I would of never thought of some of these things. And even if these ideas don't fix the problem, at least i can narrow it down. Thanks Guys. :toocool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took the plugs out and holy crap they were super black. I cleaned them up with some brake cleaner and a wire brush. What would cause them to foul out? I havent started the bike back up yet because my machine shop at work is fabricating block off caps for that emitions crap. I'll post when i get the bike back started...

BTW the pic attached is blurry but u can still see just how black the plugs were...

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Okay well if you run your bike out on fumes sometimes it can cause it from what i have heard but also no having the right amount of oil in it or even to much causing the bike to burn off extra, dont get me wrong though becuase they are going to be black from just running the motor but sometimes they can get extra caked in the carbon. But also make sure you run some gas cleaner/ fuel injector cleaner threw it as well

·
SHIFT!!
100 Posts
Maybe some oil seeped into your cylinders. One of my buddies flipped his bike doing a stoppie. It was upside down for about a minute and when he stood it up the motor was hydro-locked. When it finally started it smoked for about a 100 miles until all the oil burned off.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Maybe some oil seeped into your cylinders. One of my buddies flipped his bike doing a stoppie. It was upside down for about a minute and when he stood it up the motor was hydro-locked. When it finally started it smoked for about a 100 miles until all the oil burned off.
oil doesn't get in the cylinders that easy.
it just doesn't work that way. it hydro locked because it was flooded with fuel.
Ive had a engine sitting in my garage for 3 years with coolant in 3 of the cylinders and it hasn't gone anywhere.

some air plane piston engines are a rotary design, some of the cyclinders are always under the oil level.
basically it would be in the oil pan of a bike's engine.

ring's just don't leak like some of you guys think they do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i cleaned that spark plugs and put them back in. It still runs like crap. I decided to ride around my neighborhood and it actually runs great from 2500 rpms and up. Plenty of power.

My next guess is when the bike was on its side what ever crap was at the bottom of the gas tank made its way to the injectors. I'm going to buy some injector cleaner tommorrow and see what happens...

Any other idea's guys? :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts