Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
A few months ago I decided to follow one of the DIY's on here and polish the lip of my rims. I didn't want to do just that however, I added a little twist and painted the centers red to match my bike. I also didn't just polish the 1" lip I polished all the way to the center of the rim as I thought it'd look better than just the lip and boy was I right!

Here are some pics of my little project. Took quite a while (watched all 3 matrix movies while sanding) but I think it was worth it and I am happy.

Enjoy!

Before:

During:

After:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Really nice, did you clearcoat the red?

·
I Am THE Reaper
1,869 Posts
what kind of paint did you use because i was planning on painting my rims as well.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Nice job!!! Always amazing to see how much work everyone on this forum actually puts in to their bikes. I always end up paying for majority of the work on my bike...too afraid to screw my bike up.

Like tfs32 said.....DEFINITELY get a new chain. Red being the obvious color!

·
Registered
116 Posts
how long did that take you ? I polished my passenger pegs and it took me like an hour LOL !

Nice jobs

·
I like burgers
74 Posts
Nice job, but in my opinion its just a little too much red everywhere. I would prefer the windshield to be smoked black if it were my bike. As for the rims they look sharp and I hope they don't chip because wheels take an absolute shit debris beating when you ride!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really nice, did you clearcoat the red?
Yes sir, Rustoleum wheel clearcoat.

what kind of paint did you use because i was planning on painting my rims as well.
I used all Rustoleum stuff but for the actual red I used their high performance enamel that I got from Home Depot. Took me a while to find the best color to match.

Not Bad! Now get a new chain
Yea, that's for this winter. Any suggestions? Just looking for something as good as stock.

Looks awesome man....might try this...you spraybomb them?
If you mean spray paint, yes lol

Nice job!!! Always amazing to see how much work everyone on this forum actually puts in to their bikes. I always end up paying for majority of the work on my bike...too afraid to screw my bike up.

Like tfs32 said.....DEFINITELY get a new chain. Red being the obvious color!
I'll admit I was a little scared but I'm not all that picky and am usually happy with whatever I've done. Yes a new chain is on my list haha.

how long did that take you ? I polished my passenger pegs and it took me like an hour LOL !

Nice jobs
The whole process took quite a while as I was trying to find time around work. I'd guess the whole process took about 2 weeks of about 3-6 hours a day. The most difficult and time consuming part of the process was the actual sanding of the lip. The lip is actually machined up until about an inch and a half from the center of the rim so for the machined edge it took no time, however for the inner-most part of the rim it took a while because there were far more imperfections. The polishing took me about a week to a week and a half at about 4 hours a day more or less. Afterward I was quite tired of sanding and the repetitive motion, but I'm happy with it. Keep in mind I sanded each wheel with sand paper going from I think 150 to 1000 (didn't see much point in going to 2000).

Nice job, but in my opinion its just a little too much red everywhere. I would prefer the windshield to be smoked black if it were my bike. As for the rims they look sharp and I hope they don't chip because wheels take an absolute shit debris beating when you ride!!
Sometimes I do miss the black break from the red but then I get caught up in the SHINNY! :jump haha The windscreen came like that on the bike and I've just yet to change it although I think it gives it a racey look like a track bike. I did take the corvette flag sticker that was stuck to the middle of it though, Yuck! So far no chipping this whole season. I finished the rims in may and have been riding until now. Only complaint is I see where the chain wax is on the rims that I didn't see before on the black rims, but all the more reason to clean em more often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts