Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey anybody out there think about stripping the paint off of their wheels and polishing them up . I think it would look sweet, but it could turn out to be alot of work . :throwup

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i thought about it. but then thought of all the time spent polishing those bad boys just about everyday just so the brake dust doesnt corrode the aluminum. way too much time cleaning and polishing when i could be riding the R6.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got just the rims of mine polished with the wheels painted the same colour as the fairings. Isn't too much work to keep them shiney, but then my bike is just used as a toy so doesn't get used in bad weather and doesn't get dirty really.Brake dust just wipes off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've done it to my 04, the paint on the rim is really thin, Aircraft Paint remover from autozone takes it off in 2 passes. And i didnt even polish them, that is the actual metal under the paint. Super shiny already no need to use any metal poish on it. Pics included, my 1st post so hope it works.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i did the exact same thing to mine on the same bike. although the paint on my rims where jard to get off even with the aircraft remover. It took my two days to do mine.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hey IIIII, I also have a 04' R6. I was just wonder were did you pic up the flash mounts on your bad boy. Thanks a lot, if you can respond ASAP

·
Registered
353 Posts
i have a friend that has a 02 r6

he took everything off (i mean the motor and everything)
and polished the whole FRAME and wheels

the whole thing looks chrome......he even did the swingarm

i dunno how long it took....i know it was a while

this guy has done everything you can think of to it....its a badass bike.....maybe one day i can get pics of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Polsihed wheels

Hey IIIII, thanks for leting me know what kind of paint remover you used. I was trying this stuff from hardware store on my can caps , and its not working very well. I heard about aircraft stripper before , but wasn't sure where to get it. I was planning on this winter polishing the whole frame , swingarm, and wheels since I won't be riding in the snow. :piss

·
Registered
995 Posts
i was thinkin about it then i saw a guy who had it done and he told me about all the cleanin involved so i changed my mind

·
Registered
28 Posts
BRAVO said:
i was thinkin about it then i saw a guy who had it done and he told me about all the cleanin involved so i changed my mind
Took me about an hour and most of that time was spent masking the areas i didnt want stripped. Dunno what that guy was talking about.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Brake fluid works fairly well.... :roll:

·
Registered
531 Posts
IIIII, does the rims have machining marks under the paint or are they smooth?

When I did the lips of my 2000 they had machining marks under the paint which I had to sand out using 120-2000 grade sandpaper & then polish them up to look shiney.

Took me a whole weekend to sand & polish mine.

Heres what mine look like.

·
Registered
28 Posts
cleanate810 said:
hey IIIII how did you take off the paint on the sides of the wheels and not the middle or spokes? that looks sweet and i want to try it.
Masking tape. And a tip is to not leave the Aircraft Paint remover on for too long. The can says 15 mins, but if you do that then the paint will seep under the masking tape and remove paint where you dont want it removed. I did my passes at 5 min intervals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jeffsy said:
IIIII, does the rims have machining marks under the paint or are they smooth?

When I did the lips of my 2000 they had machining marks under the paint which I had to sand out using 120-2000 grade sandpaper & then polish them up to look shiney.

Took me a whole weekend to sand & polish mine.

Heres what mine look like.

Yours is definitely alot shinier than mine. Looks damn good man. Mine do have the parrallel grooves that you are talking about. Closer pics of mine to show others who are interested in this mod to see what we are talking about. Excuse the dirtyness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It takes me roughly and hour and half to do one side of the wheel. All you do is put it on a stand and have someone rev it a bit and slow it down when you change grits. Also, start from 180 and up to 1200. Even 1200 on the clear coat of a car, you cannot see any scratches. Go over with some metal polish compound. Good luck, just my .02

1 - 20 of 31 Posts