Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 r6r with about 29xxx miles. Recently I have been experience extremely low fuel mileage. Approx. 120 miles per tank. Also if I don't allow the bike to warm up all the way prior to riding it will stall when I come to a stop. I have to then throttle the bike while trying to get it to restart. Eventually it will start and run with no other problem. When this happens the oil light comes on and goes off shortly after. Oil level is good and oil is fresh. I went into diagnostic mode and checked my TPS and TVS and both are well within spec. When I went the diagnostic 20 for the kickstand switch it said on regardless of the kickstand position. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Bike has a K&N filter and no Cat with a stock muffler.

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
Do you have the correct weight oil for your temperature?

120 miles per tank isn't that bad. I have averaged 100-120 (33-40mpg) for the past 5 years of riding.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
120 miles to a tank sounds about normal. What do you usually get?

The oil light is just a level sensor, nor pressure. If you're on the low end of the dip stick, or it's just after an oil change, it may go on or off on occasion as the oil sloshes around. Not a huge deal, just double check the dip stick and make sure you've got the right amount of oil in there.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
When you are saying "120 miles per tank", how much are you putting in the pump? Do you just ride until the low fuel light comes on, or do you fill up before then?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The oil is a full synthetic 10w-40. When I first got the bike I was getting about 120-130 prior to the fuel light coming on. Now it is coming on before 100 miles. No modifications were made to the bike. The fuel is fresh. I usually fill up about 5-15 miles into the reserve. I would approximate 3.3-3.8 gallons when I fill up.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The oil is a full synthetic 10w-40. When I first got the bike I was getting about 120-130 prior to the fuel light coming on. Now it is coming on before 100 miles. No modifications were made to the bike. The fuel is fresh. I usually fill up about 5-15 miles into the reserve. I would approximate 3.3-3.8 gallons when I fill up.
Ok, fuel light before 100 miles is heading towards the low side.

Just to rule out the silly things...
- Have you checked tire pressures? Chain & sprockets in good shape?
- How's the braking system, bearings, axles? When you put the bike on stands and spin the wheels do they spin freely?
- When were spark plugs last changed?
- Valve clearance should have been adjusted around 25k miles. Has that been done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire pressure chain and sprockets are all good and adjusted to proper spec.
Everything spins freely with no binding.
I was told the spark plugs were changed right before I got the bike about 5k miles ago
I was also told the valves were adjusted at that time as well.
I purchased it from a guy that owned a bike shop so I am assuming it was done right.
As far as the O2 sensors, I'm not sure. How would I test them?

·
Gambling every time u rid
81 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've got quite a few mods, full leo, dynojet and autotune and still will stall from time to time on cold start up and first stop. I was getting about 145-150miles out of a tank now about 110miles.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've got quite a few mods, full leo, dynojet and autotune and still will stall from time to time on cold start up and first stop. I was getting about 145-150miles out of a tank now about 110miles.
Hmm, stumbling at all in the lower rpms? Stalling at idle as you're coming to a stop sounds a lot like a bad coil. At least that's what my '03 did when it needed the coil recall done, and it was running on 3 cylinders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 07 r6. It cant keep the idle after i try restarting it after being parked for several minutes. Ive been told that the air flow of my bike was not right since i changed the exhaust and have not adjusted thing, but u said yours was stock.... ive also been told to do a fuel mapping test to see how everything is flowing. I believe we can also adjust it using a power commander. im also getting around 100mi but i have dropped a tooth in the front so faster acceleration burns more fuel. I practice willies as well so it affects the fuel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts