Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_20210708_172556.jpg
Noticed today that there was watery liquid leaking from the lower right side.
Further inspecting the issue found out that its coming from that small rubber tube under the foam.
Is this normal and what is the purpose of that tube? Coolant related?
Bike is - 09 r6.

·
Registered
2009 YZF-R6
16 Posts
Coolant related?
That's the coolant reservoir overflow tube. Not normal to drip, hopefully it was just overfilled but the chocolate milk color could be oil in the system. Check the oil and make sure it looks good as well as the coolant reservoir. Take the right (throttle side) fairings off and you should be able to find the coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
48 Posts
To add what @Richard Deckard said take the fairings off check the reservoir itself, if it's little to none in there I would fill it up then I would do a few heat cycles and if the level drops and keeps dropping throughout the heat cycles I would check my oil. Oil and coolant don't mix so you'll notice right away, if that's the case you have a head gasket issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers guys.
Took my bike to the shop today and the issue was blown gasket seal.
The most surprising thing the mechanic said was that since my bike was a racing bike before me and it was crashed on its right side on the track the seal issue may have been existing this whole time i have had the bike and got worse over time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts