Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Honda Convert
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Rode my '02 R6 to work and somehow lost the key on the way to my office! :cuss

After crawling around on the grass and sidewalk looking for it, I'm looking at other options. Dealer can't make a key without a code, locksmiths won't come out for less than $200. Can't use a drill press to remove the ignition since it is in the middle of a parking lot.

Removed all the allen head bolts on the gas cap so I can take it to a locksmith, but I've heard there is one more bolt under the cap. I heard there is a way to drill this last bolt out but can't find instructions by searching these forums.

Thanks for any help.

word to the wise: NEVER EVER EVER BE WITHOUT A SPARE KEY!!! :dunce:

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
you've just inspired me to go out and get a spare key!!!!!!!!!!!!

i will have to get back to you on the drilling, idk i'm not sure but i think i remember reading something about that either on here or another forum. i'll check it out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yes you can. what i did was drill into the lock multiple times until i could get a screwdriver in to unlatch it. it was a pain in the a**

·
Honda Convert
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm trying to remove the cap to take the lock into a locksmith, so destroying the lock would defeat the purpose. :D Any other ideas?

·
Registered
96 Posts
load it into a truck....hotwire it....idk dude

i dont think theres a cheap way of doing this

·
08 in the crate
344 Posts
You can't remove the cap without destroying the locking mechanism. It grabs on both sides. Pull the gas tank if you have too and take him that. T

·
12,482 Posts
You can't remove the cap without destroying the locking mechanism. It grabs on both sides. Pull the gas tank if you have too and take him that. T

This is the easiest way.

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
definatly better off paying the $200 for a lock smith. If you drill anything you have to pay to replace it. If you hit something expensive with the drill then you may end up paying more then $200. You best bet is to suck it up and pay it and get him to cut you a few keys!

·
Registered
96 Posts
He isnt trying to hotwire it, read the thread.
yeah i know...i suggested it so he could get the bike to a locksmith shop avoiding the $200 service call

·
Registered
96 Posts
:cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts