Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just picked up a 2005 r6 and there seems to be a rattle noise coming from the engine. It's got about 25k on it and the guy said he's never done a valve adjust. Wondering of that could be whats going on, or I was thinking timing chain. Do those chains stretch easy like make too much slop? I'm a mechanic and a valve adjust seems pretty straight forward. I've looked at some vids to see what kind of upper end system they got and it seems like there's a few different ones. Would I need to shim buckets or are there adjusters?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I haven't really had a bike motor apart I've usually stuck with cars. Same concept so I'm not too worried. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a pretty distinct yamatick that i thought was the cct. bought an ape manual cam chain tensioner and the yamatick changed sounds but is a little quieter. \

fifty bucks to know that it will never fail, just have to adjust it every so often, every thousand or so miles but worth it.

8k miles on my 07 r6s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. I've heard Yamahas have a normal tick, but I haven't personally heard it so I don't want to get used to a noise that might not be a normal noise. I should have it apart hopefully sometime this week and post if any clearances are out of spec

1 - 4 of 4 Posts