Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, hoping to get some insight.

2002 R6 - 14k miles

Ran great until a few days ago, i havent ridden it in 2 months (Had surgery)
Go for a ride, and it hits 180 degrees and the engine seems to cut out. No more accel, once it stops it shuts off.

Push the start button, and nothing happens until it gets below 150 degrees.

Runs fine again until 180 cuts off.

Where should i start? Any ideas?

Also are these numbers normal?

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
I'm thinking that's fairly normal, although I have a 2006. I was making a point of checking the temperature while I was riding yesterday. Weather was around 20C (68F) and cruising at around 120km/h (75mph) the coolant temperature was 77C (170F). That's the coolest it usually gets. If I'm on slower roads its usually in the 80C's (185F+) and in stop and go it's regularly hitting 100C (212F) and having the fans come on.

Can anyone else confirm these are normal temperatures?

·
Laugh now, cry later
1,027 Posts
You're fine if you run lower than 220F... Fan kicks in around 212F and should cool it down.

Running temp : 185F, can be higher in city though.

OP: Hit the search button, may-be other members had similar issues! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're fine if you run lower than 220F... Fan kicks in around 212F and should cool it down.

Yea i dont get it, If thats average why would mine cut out at 185?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yea i dont get it, If thats average why would mine cut out at 185?
You need to adjust your idle is what it sounds like. It's normal for these bikes to operate at around 220* F on the street. When your bike get's to around 185* F, and your idle drops, you just need to adjust your idle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

i tried search wasnt having any luck finding the same symptoms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need to adjust your idle is what it sounds like. It's normal for these bikes to operate at around 220* F on the street. When your bike get's to around 185* F, and your idle drops, you just need to adjust your idle.
Nope idle is fine, maybe i have a bad temp shut off or something. I didnt even know these bikes had that.

Its like clock work at 180 degrees, the bike turns fuel off to the carbs. And wont restart until below 150, wont turn over wont crank nothing. Just wont do a thing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And the idle doesnt "drop" fuel is completely CUT OFF from the engine, its not like it stalls and can be restarted.

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
It's carbureted so you're getting fuel. Just no spark or in this case the bike electrically doesn't want to run. I was just wondering if there is a short somewhere. Try pulling the fuse for the fans and see if it still does it.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
From what other people have said, 180F isn't hot enough for the fans to come on. It only happens at 100C/212F

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts