Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've herd lots about the 2001 r6's being known for 2nd gear trouble. I have a 2001 champions edition with only 18,300kms and all gear are werking flawlessly. Only thing that concerns me is when i shift from 1st to 2nd the bike does it rather harshly. Its kinda hard to describe but its not a smooth transition like the other gears, more like a a soft knock( just enough force to get your attention). Can anybody tell me exactly what the problem is? Solution?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine does it too brother, you are not alone. From first to second requires a little more force and effort than the rest of the gears. I don't know why. The guy I bought the bike from always used yamalube oil, ive heard people say they switched to motoil and their gear changes smoothed out considerably. I have a problem where I will miss second and accidently hit neutral. I havent done it in a while. I just make sure to really put some umph into shifting first to second. I may try switching oil to see if it smooths out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My shift doesnt require any extra force and i've never had a mis shift where i hit neutral, but the shift doesn't feel right. What you describe sounds identical to what was going on with a 86 Radian I once had, That thing would slip into neutral all the time. It kinda suxs cuz I love this bike and i am willing to get this problem fixed right away if I can get it diagnosed.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
i had a 2000. u only need to start worrying when ur bike engages 2nd gear, then slips out under hard acceleration. otherwise, it seems pretty normal and u might just need an oil change. i would also suggest lowering your clutch pedal about an inch or so. it makes it easier to put some extra "oomph" behind ur shifting and only takes a couple minutes.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
1>>2 is clunky and has been on every sports bike I've ever owned or ridden. That's just part of the game. My ZZR makes a heavy clunk, like enough to get attention from the sidewalk, but nothing's wrong. My R6 is a little more polite, and if you preload it, the sound can be reduced to almost the same level as the other gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts