Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Do Work!
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to powder coat my 05 raven but can't decide on what color to go with. I was looking for some suggestions. I'm kind of favoring gold...A local shop does them for 600. Anyone know of any other places around NY that does them for a cheaper price?

·
Eliminating Chickenstrips
1,566 Posts
I love gold.

You know you'll have to take off the tires, press out the bearings, powdercoat the wheels, get new bearning to press in, mount the tires, balance, and look at your empty wallet. I wanted to do this. Looked more into it, and it gets quite expensive. Better to save for marchesinis (or however you spell it)

·
My Raven Flys
10 Posts
I have to 05 "raven" too! I was planning on getting my rims gold also! I have it much cheaper by me! But I'm from Wisconsin!

·
Do Work!
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea NY is pretty expensive...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I actually just dropped off my wheels last friday at my local powdercoaters. I had paid $20 to have the old tires taken off since I needed new ones anyways. They said its going to be about $200 including stripping the wheels. The only other cost would be to pull the bearings and then press in new ones. A local shop quoted me $30 each for bearings IIRC.

All in all, I think I can get done for less than $350 :) Much less than $1900 for race wheels.

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
Its really that much? :scared I'm getting 19 inch wheels done for 95 a wheel out here. I cant believe its that much for motorcycle wheels over there. Thats insane!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I got my wheels done for 60 bucks each on my 06 anny. I was originally going to get gold but my powdercoater discouraged it because the golds become very dim and dull after the baking process. So I want to warn you that if you decide to go with a gold powdercoat that the color MAY not turn out how you would expect. If you wanted to get some gold wheels for cheap I would suggest looking at the 08 yamaha fz1 wheels. They are anodized gold and are the exact same wheels that are on the r1 and r6, you should be able to get a good deal on a set on ebay maybe? here are a few pics of my anny with they yellow powdercoated wheels :toocool:

Attachments

·
Do Work!
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I'm skeptical about doing it....I didn't know you guys were paying so little for it. I've got to do some research now.

·
Not DoD Blocked
2,339 Posts
just make sure they strip them down to bare metal and used anodized gold, should come out really nice. seen some on the forum that they said was gold but it just didnt look right. Anodizeing them will let the shine come through and look hot.

·
Registered
917 Posts
AH665R6 said:
that looks amazing. one of the best-looking bikes on the forum
hey thanks man i worked pretty hard to get it nice, if you like it now you're gonna love it when im done with my winter mods :toocool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts