Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about powder coating my frame and wheels on my '04. I was wondering how difficult it would be to disassemble the bike so that I could take in the fame to be coated? Anyone taken their bike apart to do something similar?

Matt

·
Registered
80 Posts
blueloulou said:
ARE you not liking the black powder coating on it already?

as for repowder coating your looking at some $$
Powdercoating is actually pretty cheap. To do an entire frame it wouldn't cost more then a couple hundred bucks. They have to blast it first to strip it, which you will have to pay for as well. Anodizing the frame would be pretty cool, but the inconsistency in the frame smoothness would probably leave powdercoating the better option as well as not being able to ground on the anodized surface.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I looked into getting my rims powder coated. They quoted 120 a piece. It is a real pain in the ass to take your bike a part. I had a friend who just did it and it would not start after he got it back together. I am not talking about texasr6, but there is another example.

·
Registered
84 Posts
you must concider a few things.

taking the bike apart, and ruining alot of those little plastic peices that are stuffed in the frame and swing arm.

there going to have to press or replace bearings.

sand blast with glass bead

then powder coat

And then put all the shit back together..

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I've powder coated two gas tanks for choppers and they turned out really nice. Before I took them to be powder coated I took them to a radiator shop to be defumed and pressure tested. Then I had them powder coated. After that, I used that stuff called cream to seal and rust proof the inside of the tank. Now they are much more durable and impervious to gas and oil, much unlike paint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i got my rims powder coated was a 100 for the front and 110 for the rear. It was in reading,pa at Cbcustomsport.com they have some info his prices may have changed since i got mine done

·
Registered
68 Posts
damn, thats a lot for just a rim... i charge less then that for car rims, and those are bigger then bike rims(in terms of width like 17x10

·
Registered
5 Posts
That was for him to remove front and rear tire, then to rebalance them and all labor powdercoating part was cheap

·
Registered
18 Posts
RadRacer84 said:
I was thinking about powder coating my frame and wheels on my '04. I was wondering how difficult it would be to disassemble the bike so that I could take in the fame to be coated? Anyone taken their bike apart to do something similar?

Matt
Hey Matt -

There's a sport bike shop in Greenwood that specializes in this sort of thing. Call the Sportbike Center and ask for Steve . Phone is 535-0081

I just got my Ducati 916 wheels doen in black by them - excellent job!

·
Registered
18 Posts
No problem. I was just in there today and he's doing a CBR 1000 swingarm - maybe you could see it in person before the owner picks it up.

I have no idea when it'll be back from the coater, but it looks ready to go other than that.

He has an R1 in there that had the pegs and levers coated - -looks nice!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Matt -

That CBR1000 that I was telling you about is almost done. I snapped a few pics of it today. Give me an email address and I can send them to you.

They powdercoated the stock rearsets, pass pegs and painted the lowers and hugger red to match the bike. This thing was totalled a few weeks ago and now looks very sweet.

If you wanna see it in person, better get down there quick as the owner picks it up on Friday afternoon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts