Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
gcofieldd said:
My budy used aircraft paint stripper. I could find out more if you are intrested.
Someone was asking about this, and tried this and it did not work for him; it could have been on another site.

I think you will have to use a mechanical means to remove it. Since the stuff is not suppose to come off it will be a lot of work. Sand blasting might work too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
aircraft stripper sucks!!

using sandpaper really blows

so I used a sand blaster with glass bead, took about an hour to remove all the paint from it. then went from a 600 to 800 to 1000 grit sand paper

still needs a little more work, but I hope to have it finished by the end of july.

·
Registered
84 Posts
you cant strip powder coating with oven cleaner or aircraft stiper as its baked into the metal.

best bet is to take it to a machine shop and have it sand blasted with glass bead, nothing of higher grit than that or it with pit and destroy the metal. dont know how much they'll charge you though

Sears sells a mini sand blaster which works well, but your gunna have to have a air compressor to run it. the glass bead is blue in tint and runs about 28 bucks for 50lbs.

also make sure you press those bearings out before you start sand blasting unless you have about 50 bucks to replace them

·
Registered
68 Posts
have fun. removing powdercoating is VERY hard. i suggest getting a sand blaster or a blasting gun and air compressor. i would use the glass as sugguested. its going to take you a LONG time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.