·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Powercoating Project

TOOLS used

150 psi compressor

oven (30inc) size is optional

powdercoating machine (can be purchased at caswellplating.com)

drill with wire sanding bit

first i sanded it down the desired parts to this, using drill with wire sanding bit.

then hanging it on this grill using wire to conduct electricity with the powdercoating maching, begin powdercoating.

when finished put in the oven. (temperature and time varies from powder to powder) for this one, gold 392 degress for 10 mins

finish product, since this is my first time using gold (gold is the hardest color to do) i made a mistake on the temperature and inevitably burned the parts, but last night i succesfully did the clutch linkage and gold.. ILL post that tomorrow when i go to the garage, for now ill show you BLACK PIECES, i just wanted to show the procedure. BTW, IM NOT A PROFESSIONAL just experimenting and relentlesslly read how-tos powdercoat in various forums, and could have not done with a help of a friend of mine. very easy as you can see, sanding is the hardest thing to do.

KICKSTAND

levers

friends bike with the POWDERCOATED REARSETS.

·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, kickstand were glossy black featured here is for my bike and levers were semi-gloss black

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Nice. Always wanted to get into some powdercoating. How much would you say your whole setup put you back? Looks good

·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lets see, i got the compressor for 50 thru a friend of mine, oven free since i work at a real state firm (residential and commercial), powdercoating maching less than 200, powder is 15 a can. the rest are just my garage tools. very good investment! thanks. ill post some gold parts tomorrow, gold is a tricky color and i learned that the hard way.

·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
soon. i'll let you know, i have yet to perfect the sanding procedures. also, pegs are very hard to sand given the nature of its shape.

·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here my GOlD clutch linkage as promised. tho it cracked cos its cold, thats why it looked glittery. but atleast you see the final color. redoing this too.

also installed my cas cap and levers. LOL

currently redoing my kickstand in glossy black, and sprockets in gold. post some of that when finish.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
question... can you even see out of those mirrors?? or are they just for legal purposes??

btw gold sprocket should look pretty nice

·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here's a sample of gold sprockets, but still not perfect. its very hard!

and here's a semi-gloss black sprocket and gloss black kickstand-flawless!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts