Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard that a power commander doesn't really make a difference. I changed my stock pipe to a SCORPION slip on. SOunds good, but it feels like my bike has been underwater for 4o minutes--weird sputtering thing!! Would a power commander help???? ANy suggestions??

:hammer :?: :?: :?:

·
heebiedabajeebies!
1,777 Posts
I got a BlueFlame slip-on and wonder about it too.

I only notice the puttering when the engine is fully warmed up and idle.
But on initial start up/ignition, it sounds full & solid.

I would say the PC III would definitely clean it up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
your right power commander doesn't eliminate the sputtering. In fact when I start my bike up it has a rough idle until it warms up to 130 F. It does however smooth out the power band. To properly set it up you must dyno your bike. what I did was experimented with diffrent maps for diffrent setup until I felt the bike was up to speed.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've got full gyt race system on mine w/ PC3 and it also has a fairly rough idle till warm. It is nothing unnormal, it's fuel injected. The computer spits extra gas at it till it's warm...just like choke works. I believe the warm up mapping in the computer is always the same till it is warmed up. meaning if the bike is cold started at 50 degrees or cold started at 80 degrees, its going to be getting the same amount of fuel.

A PC is DEFINITLY worth it on the R6! You know what dead spot at about 8000-8200 rpms...it will cure that up and also smooth out the powerband like Rat said.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
many THANKS to the all knowing and brilliant minds on this forum!!!!

I think I will definitely be investing my hard earned credit card units towards the purchase of one FYN MASSSHHINE!!

U GUYS deserve FIRST PLACE in the Science FAIR!!

DOMO ARIGATO!!! :hammer :hammer :hammer

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I think the toughest part is peeling the covering off the included velcro tape to adhere it to the trunk compartment surface. it's basically plug and play. Toughest thing will be propping up your gas tank to gain access to the connectors to plug the PC into and then routing the cables. So I wouldn't be apprehensive about it.

here's the 2003 instructions and the 2004 instructions

·
Registered
524 Posts
You forgot about pulling the tab under the seat since Yamaha knows your going to be adding one anyway. That was the hardest part. I used the velcro to keep me attached to the front seat. YEA!

Blade

·
Registered
326 Posts
Want to know why your bike runs fine with that pipe when it is cold, then goes to crap when it heats up?
The ECU runs on a "warm up" map until it gets close to normal temperatures, then it goes to the normal map. This is pretty much standard on most EFI bikes. It isn't just a high idle, but a high idle and a different map. So you can run any kind of contraption you want for an exhaust, and it is going to warm up just fine.
Also, for the people that like to rev their bikes up as soon as they start them...the bike goes through a test for about the first 3 seconds of running. It retards and advances its ignition until it pings, this is so the computer knows...where to put the spark (for lack of a better explanation). If you rev it up while it is doing this test, it might throw off the test. I'm not saying that you WILL throw it off, and most likely won't, and if you do, it will fix itself on the next start-up, but....anyway, there you go.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tip GRAU!

Im not exactly sure what U meant, way 2 advanced for my level of expertise.

I am in awe of your knowledge and wisdom, SO....

Does that mean I should still invest in a PC 3 , or scrap the whole idea because it wouldn't make a difference??

:worship

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.