Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking all over and have yet to find a straight answer. I have a 08 R6S and i am putting on a D&D slip on and midpipe on it soon but i am wondering if i really need to put on a power commander or will i be ok to run without it for a little bit until i can afford one. If someone has an answer for me that would be great.

·
Premium Member
18,792 Posts
You don't need a PC3 to install a full exhaust. But you will probably need to have your bike tuned, so most people put the PC3 on anyways (need to retune your bike as well). You have to ask yourself the question, "Why am I putting a full exhaust on"? More than likely you are looking for performance. Thus you should go the rest of the way and put a PC3 on it as well. If you are just putting a new exhaust on for looks and sound, you may as well buy a slip-on can only.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im going with the Slip on and it also comes with a midpipe so i wasnt sure if i could just get away with putting that on and not worrying about the PC.

·
I sold my R6
229 Posts
As far as I understand it you dont really need a power commander for just an exhaust or air filter, the air fuel mixture wont be too bad off. To actually realize all the benefits of an after market exhaust/air filter or other part you do, but you can do it in stages. Just make sure the bike is the way you want it before taking it to a dyno tuner, or youre waisting money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Question from me as well:

I am going to install a K&N filter and a akarprovic full racing exhaust, then will get a power commander...
Now, i can download this map from the website with my settings.. do I still need to tune it with a dyno?
The best solution is of course go to a dyno.. what if I don't? would that MAP be the best out of a 2006 r6?
Also, when setting up that MAP on their website, what humidity was it run under? or does it matter?
I live in Hong Kong, and the humidity is way high over here, not sure if that's going to affect how the MAP should have worked?

Thanks

·
Forum Moderator
3,107 Posts
Question from me as well:

I am going to install a K&N filter and a akarprovic full racing exhaust, then will get a power commander...
Now, i can download this map from the website with my settings.. do I still need to tune it with a dyno?
The best solution is of course go to a dyno.. what if I don't? would that MAP be the best out of a 2006 r6?
Also, when setting up that MAP on their website, what humidity was it run under? or does it matter?
I live in Hong Kong, and the humidity is way high over here, not sure if that's going to affect how the MAP should have worked?

Thanks
Most of those internet maps are pretty generic at best. I used on for a few months on my '06 with a full Akra and BMC filter. After getting it custom mapped it made a world of difference. The dyno sheet showed two dips in it with the online map I was using for this exhaust.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ya u dont need a power commander, the bike will run, but once u install if and u ride, you'll notice some sections will become "poppy", to get rid of that a power commander will help smooth those sections out. But it does sound pretty damn loud.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If the bike has an emissions system (which I thought they all did after 07?) Then you either A: Need to have an O2 hole in the pipe and reinstall it, or B: Have a PCIII so no code is set when you remove it. Without a catalytic converter the bike will run different and the PCIII will help correct any A/F issues you have along the way. I know you must do this on the non-S models but everyone in here so far has said the S doesn't need to so maybe you're fine.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
if you have an r6 s then there is no need for a mid pipe, its a 1 piece header.

Your bike will run completly fine without a pcIII and just a slip on. If you get a full system you may want to invest in a pcIII

1 - 9 of 9 Posts