Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of getting a power commander for my 2003 R6. I was just wondering if anybody knows if they have a map for a Akrapovic slip on exhaust.

Does anybody have power commander with an Akrapovic slip on?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
If all you have is a slip-on, and you do not plan on doing much more modding I do not advise it. They are pricey and you really do not need one with just a slip-on. I have a 03 wit ha yosh slip-on with no pc3 and mine runs fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm also planning on doing a 520 chain upgrade in the near future. I also heard that a power commander can help with just a slip on also. I would like to get some ideas on that.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
yeah it helps, but IMO not enough to justify spending $300 for it. If you had other mods, then it would be worth it. Do a 520 15/50 conversion, thats where you will get the most bang for your buck. Also it will be about $100 cheaper including a speedohealer than just the pc3. I would do the conversion first, if it isn't enough you could always get the pc3 and more mods later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know if the speedohealer is easy to do at home? Or is it something that requires a trained pro to do?

Thanks for the ideas on the upgrades.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
You should be able to do it yourself. Hopefully creeper will see this he did a sticky on how to do it step by step on www.r6rider.com. he knows more about installation than me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldn't find the sticky you're talkin about. But thanks for the feedback bro. I'll post some results after I decide what upgrades I'll be doing.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I installed my speedohealer a few months back, it'snot hard at all. I'm jsut trying to get he right percent for the calibration. I've got a cop buddy who's going to clock me to set it if I can't find the right percent form someone here. But the install itself--not hard.

Concerning the PC3 -- my buddy with an R1 got one when all he had was a slipon. They premapped it for him and it DID make a difference. And everything else he's done since has been able to be adjusted for w/o a problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not really worry about the actual install. I'm worried about the calibration part of the damn thing. From what you're saying, it sounds hard trying to get the speedometer accurate.

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
For the spedohealer, put it on a dyno and adjust while on the dyno, no speeding tickets while making sure 130 on the spedo is actually 130 MPH. Like we all know about dynos, you could check if the spedo is reading accurately at 160 MPH if you want to.

For the power commander, my big reason for having it is to help smmoth out the power band. To mo, that in its self is worth $300.

just my $0.02.

·
Registered
283 Posts
hey man ,....

i have an '03 with a slip on akro ,..and it ran fine but a pcIIIusd will help it run smoother,..

i just insalled a pcIIIusd and graves velocity stacks (2) and had a custome map made ,... what a diff, !!!!

contact creeper ,.. realy good deals !!!

p.s. dyno'd @ 104.9 HP !!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
r6-hybridd said:
For the spedohealer, put it on a dyno and adjust while on the dyno, no speeding tickets while making sure 130 on the spedo is actually 130 MPH. Like we all know about dynos, you could check if the spedo is reading accurately at 160 MPH if you want to.

For the power commander, my big reason for having it is to help smmoth out the power band. To mo, that in its self is worth $300.

just my $0.02.
Bad thing is the closest dyno is 1.5 hrs away. The good thing is my buddy who can clock me is a bike rider too and won't give me a ticket for the 130mph verification! :cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts