Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 03 R6. WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS THE POWER COMMANDER????????? AND IS IT WORTH THE MONEY??????

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't personally have one, but consensus among the guys I know who do is, if you have installed a full exhaust then it is almost a neccessity.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'd put one on either way. Stock, slip-on or full. I don't know who has all noticed the surging from about 4700rpm's to 5100 rpm's....and a flat spot at 8000rpms in the power range. The PC will help cure these up nicely. Simple installation, and easy to use as in loading different maps and such.

You don't need one if you're stock, but i'd definitly get one with any kind of exhaust/ and or air filter change.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You won't get anymore horse power from installing it, but I tell you the smoothness it creats is incredible. Long gone will be the surges and rough idle. Plus The PCIIIusb now has anupgrade called accelerator pump. Or something like that, I've yet to install that feature due to lack of a lap top.

RATBIKE R6

·
Registered
133 Posts
McCoy's got them for 259.00 and the are very easy to install. Your initial upload of a map to the pcIIIusb can be done prior to installing it on your bike. The problem is if you don't want the hassle of taking it off the bike everytime you need to upload a map, you need a laptop or palm pilot.

RATBIKE R6

·
Registered
527 Posts
The 03 R6 installation rquires you to remove the gas tank to get to the plugs you need. The best thing going for this for this is the usb plug. You had to have a serial port on your computer for the older models. If anybody who has dealt with laptops know its almost an act of God to find a laptop that does. Most companies sell a port repliacator for laptops that need a serial.

My girl's R6 has stock exhaust with a K&N. I'm thinking future so I test rode the bike without the PC then installed it. You do have a dead spot right at 4000 and a surge at 7000-9000. The PC cleans this up. Now as far as Hp gain. Yes you will get an increase but two things have to happen. Full exhaust and have a custom map made for your bike. I don't beleive in slip on unless you want to sound louder. The maps that are givin to you are made in Las Vegas. Thin air and dry heat. So lets say you live in Georgia like me. Humid and muggy air. Thats not a good map.

My true bike is a 929 where all this testing was done. When the bike was completely stock is made 127 hp from Honda. After adding K&N, Full Hindle and PC I went to 139 with a mean second gear. Its all in the combo. If your free up the exhaust side you have to free up the intake as well. Hit me back if you have anymore questions.

Blade

·
Registered
133 Posts
Your right about the exhaust, it is just there for looks. But is it true though that you'll loose mid range power with a full system?? I use my bike for the weekend in the twisties and daily commute to work. Living in Hawaii is probably like living in Georgia. Say temp/humidty. Would you mind sending or trading some maps??

RATBIKE R6

·
Registered
527 Posts
No problem as soon as she gets her exhaust I'll be sending it to a speed shop to get it dialed in. The mid range is not a problem in a full system. Think of it this way. Normal driving on her bike I stay at around 6 or 7 grand. I'll take it to red line only if its a top speed run or someone is looking for trouble. Just find a range thats good for you and watch your riding habits. I try not to listen to the engine because I'm so use to a 900cc bike but in a 600cc you have to let it rev high to be in its powerband.

Blade

Hey I'm not a noop anymore!!! :jump :jump :jump

·
Registered
61 Posts
So if I can't find a map for my specific configuration, I can get one made? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, how do I get one made? Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes you can get a custom map made, you need to take it to someone who has a dyno so they can configure the air fuel mixture. Fire Blade Looking foward to hearing the results of your girls bike. Thanks in advance

RATBIKE R6

·
max speed
242 Posts
You can even see the power blip on the bike of the year graph between 7500 and 8500 rpm. If the PC can smooth that out on a stock bike I think its a great tool to have for future mods :mrgreen:

·
Registered
409 Posts
fireblade31003 said:
The 03 R6 installation rquires you to remove the gas tank to get to the plugs you need. The best thing going for this for this is the usb plug. You had to have a serial port on your computer for the older models. If anybody who has dealt with laptops know its almost an act of God to find a laptop that does. Most companies sell a port repliacator for laptops that need a serial.

My girl's R6 has stock exhaust with a K&N. I'm thinking future so I test rode the bike without the PC then installed it. You do have a dead spot right at 4000 and a surge at 7000-9000. The PC cleans this up. Now as far as Hp gain. Yes you will get an increase but two things have to happen. Full exhaust and have a custom map made for your bike. I don't beleive in slip on unless you want to sound louder. The maps that are givin to you are made in Las Vegas. Thin air and dry heat. So lets say you live in Georgia like me. Humid and muggy air. Thats not a good map.

My true bike is a 929 where all this testing was done. When the bike was completely stock is made 127 hp from Honda. After adding K&N, Full Hindle and PC I went to 139 with a mean second gear. Its all in the combo. If your free up the exhaust side you have to free up the intake as well. Hit me back if you have anymore questions.

Blade
you dont have to take the tank completly off just tilt it up the whole process takes 15 minutes and boy is it worth it

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes the PCIII is a good add - especially if you plan on more mods; you will get more HP; the bike will not surge, and it will idle better. All I have is a slip-on...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts