Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, the other day my bike decided to make a new noise on warm starts. I'm not entirely sure what the noise is, but it's a 'woooosh' noise, as if something was letting out pressure. This happened each of the five times I've started my bike warm in the past two days; each time the bike had sat for 5-15 minutes and the temp read 120-135 F. At first I thought the noise might be some air in either the oil or coolant system, as I haven't checked them recently. My oil was fine and the noise was still present after I had topped off the coolant and ridden her around. Does anyone have experience with this or an idea on what it might be?

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
there are 2 smog plates on top of the valve cover that go straight into the exhaust. this could be what you're hearing. it's not normal to hear them though.
you can buy smog block off plates for them pretty cheap to get rid of the whole system.
most of us do.
aggracing (guy on the site) sells some pretty reasonable.
http://www.aggracing.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there are 2 smog plates on top of the valve cover that go straight into the exhaust. this could be what you're hearing. it's not normal to hear them though.
you can buy smog block off plates for them pretty cheap to get rid of the whole system.
most of us do.
aggracing (guy on the site) sells some pretty reasonable.
http://www.aggracing.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51
I hadn't thought of the smog plates; out of curiosity, as I'm not to familiar with the whole system, how exactly would this cause the sound, and what would cause this to start out of the blue? If it mean anything the bike has a two brothers slip on, and i was told at purchase the whole exhaust system was two brothers but I haven't had a chance to look over the system and confirm that.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
honestly I'm just guessing. I have not heard anyone on a forum mention the kind of sound you are describing and I've never had it happen to me to give you solid advise what it could be.
you said it sounds like up by the radiator fans, the "air injection system" is the stuff I'm speaking about is right there by the fans. and it's linked to the exhaust through the cylinder head. that's my best guess.
you can simply buy rubber caps to plug up the hose outlets. it works the same and will only cost you about $5.
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/...pletely-remove-ais.html?quot; target="_blank=

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, this morning I had a realization on what it most likely is. Back when I bought the bike in April I had to deal with a recalled part and the dealer building me a new transmission. The week after my bike was leaking a lot of coolant from one of the hoses right under where your picture is, after taking off the fairings I saw the hose wasn't fully connected to wherever it connects to, so I slid it up past the metal lip and assumed I was good. Since my bike went from full coolant last week to about an inch under the minimum line last night, I'm thinking it might have to do with that. Tomorrow or Sunday I'm gonna take a look and see if it's slid off again

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Ok, this morning I had a realization on what it most likely is. Back when I bought the bike in April I had to deal with a recalled part and the dealer building me a new transmission. The week after my bike was leaking a lot of coolant from one of the hoses right under where your picture is, after taking off the fairings I saw the hose wasn't fully connected to wherever it connects to, so I slid it up past the metal lip and assumed I was good. Since my bike went from full coolant last week to about an inch under the minimum line last night, I'm thinking it might have to do with that. Tomorrow or Sunday I'm gonna take a look and see if it's slid off again
I don't think any of the hoses are meant to be slip-fit only. Get a hose clamp on that thing.

And make sure it's actually tight. Made that mistake at my last track day and ended up spewing coolant everywhere when I turned the bike off and the pressure spiked. :hammer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts