Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost died today because of my retarded ass bike. Ok. I have an 04 R6 that has about 1700 miles on her. When I let out the clutch to take off from a stop sign like I have done a hundred times, the bike stalls hard and then I cannot get it back into gear. Its stuck in 1st and wont go to Neutral. When I try to start it with the cluth in, the bike lurches forward and wont start. Alomost like I am trying to start the bike while in gear and the clutch not in.........but the clutch is in when I try to start it. Even when it attepts to start, its like the battery dies and the bike just wont turn over anymore all while slowly lurching forward. Before this, I noticed that sometimes when pulling up to a stop sign, and I gear down, I cant gear down anymore unless I let out the clutch a little and the bike pops into gear. Any help would be great guys. I am not to mechanically inclined with bikes. I know the basics but thats about it. Warranty issue maybe??? I have geared my bike down one in the front and up three in the back. Could this be the problem? I do alot of wheelies so I'm thinking it might be the clutch going out. Will the dealer fix this under warranty?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Sorry to say......it's you not the bike. No biggy though, just something you're not doing right. When stopped somewhere, the bike won't shift unless the tranny is moving. This is why when you release the clutch a little it will pop into gear. If you can't get a gear change at a stop sign etc... try rolling the bike just a tad when you go to shift it.

How exactly are you using the clutch lever? One finger, two, 3, 4 etc..?
And are you just pulling it in a little bit, or what?

Sounds like you just need to practice a different technique with the clutch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought the same thing. I have been riding bike for 8 years now and I have put all 1700 miles on this one myself. I use a 3 finger shift......little, ring, and middle fingers. I have used this all summer long and not one problem. Now this caught me way off guard. Something is definately wrong I can assure you. I have never had this happen to any of my bikes and never on this one. Its like the clutch isn't even functioning anymore. I have the clutch in and the bike is in gear and I try to start it and it lurches forward pretty hard. Just that should tell ya something's wrong. I was thinking maybe it was my kickstand sensor or something but that doesn't explain why it wont come out of gear without excessive force on the shifter.........even when the clutch is in. I dont know. Need more input, comments and ideas are welcome guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
It sounds like a clutch problem, but hard to say exactly what part. IF your clutch is not engaging, I would start by adjusting your clutch cable and see if you have too much slack.
I'm guessing if you do a lot of wheelies you probably burned your clutch plates, or your shifting fork is bent.

I suggest you take it to a shop for an estimate.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ok i got ya now. Yeah, if it jumps when you try to start it, it tells me that the clutch is ENGAGED. IT wouldnt be a safety switch, unless it still turns over in gear with the kickstand down, then you could have that switch bad. Your clutch safety switch is in fact working if you have the lever pulled in.

Either way, your clutch sounds engaged. I would start with adjusting the clutch cable and inspecting the whole thing. I wonder if you don't have a bolt that was loose and backed out on the bottem side. Their is a bracket that bolts up by the right side case cover....a bolt could have fallen out of that allowing the cable to work sometimes and other times not.

Once you're sure you have the cable adjusted right and everything with it looks correct and the problem still continues, then you need to get in and inspect your clutch assembly.

Sounds like it's somewhere in your cable..... let us know.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ok i got ya now. Yeah, if it jumps when you try to start it, it tells me that the clutch is ENGAGED. IT wouldnt be a safety switch, unless it still turns over in gear with the kickstand down, then you could have that switch bad. Your clutch safety switch is in fact working if you have the lever pulled in.

Either way, your clutch sounds engaged. I would start with adjusting the clutch cable and inspecting the whole thing. I wonder if you don't have a bolt that was loose and backed out on the bottem side. Their is a bracket that bolts up by the right side case cover....a bolt could have fallen out of that allowing the cable to work sometimes and other times not.

Once you're sure you have the cable adjusted right and everything with it looks correct and the problem still continues, then you need to get in and inspect your clutch assembly.

Sounds like it's somewhere in your cable..... let us know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I was thinking when I didn't smell the clutch burn or detect any slipping. I will inspect the cable and the bracket that you speak of and I will let you guys know. I appreciate your help guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts